HOW-TO: 03-06 NBS Gauge cluster LED conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I swapped out stepper motors and bulbs to led. The left turn signal I must've wired backward cause the bulb doesn't work so I'll have to dive into that another day. Question on the gauges that don't seem to be reading accurate. How do I go about getting those to read right?

IMG_1840.JPG

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Well I swapped out stepper motors and bulbs to led. The left turn signal I must've wired backward cause the bulb doesn't work so I'll have to dive into that another day. Question on the gauges that don't seem to be reading accurate. How do I go about getting those to read right?

View attachment 80378
Which are wrong? That temp gauge looks exactly like mine did - BEFORE the stepper motor was replaced. Did you replace that one? Did it look that way before?

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The temp gauge was actually working before but I went ahead and swapped it anyways. The oil psi and the voltage were not working at all. Not the volts look good but the oil psi bounces around sometimes looks right and sometimes doesn't. And the temp gauge is definitely off lol.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The temp gauge was actually working before but I went ahead and swapped it anyways. The oil psi and the voltage were not working at all. Not the volts look good but the oil psi bounces around sometimes looks right and sometimes doesn't. And the temp gauge is definitely off lol.

One method :

Plug it in to the truck, run it for a few seconds, and then go to engine off, key on. This will zero out the gauges, so put all your needles on now pointing to 0. Then start again for a few secs and repeat to check accuracy. Some needles might take a couple tries to get right on 0.

Note:
Do it when the truck is cold and do the temp gauge first, before it warms up from starting it a bunch of times, but give it a minute to settle before you put the needle on.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every stock cluster gauge face overlay that I have ever seen (including Escalades) has a bluish film on the back of the overlay that makes cool white or bright white LEDs end up appearing sky blue. That's why most people just end up going with blue LEDs. Some people have been brave enough to remove this blue film with acetone or some other chemical (with extreme risk of damaging other graphics or numbers on the cluster) and I've also seen people remove it by scraping it off with a razor blade. I've done it myself with a razor blade and while VERY time consuming, it does work and is far less risky than using acetone. But the end result when you get the blue film off is a pure BRIGHT WHITE cluster when you are running pure white LEDs and it does look great.

when you wanna come do mine

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disregard my last post followed the first post and ordered LEDs and resistors. Gonna give this a shot tomorrow depending on what time the package gets in

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disregard my last post followed the first post and ordered LEDs and resistors. Gonna give this a shot tomorrow depending on what time the package gets in

Just be careful with disassembly of the cluster. Do NOT forget to mark the stop position of each needle, so the gauges will not be inaccurate

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my LEDs soldered but they will have to wait till tomorrow to get installed. I work overnights and need to get some sleep

15147496307671378239357.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907