HOW-TO: 03-06 NBS Gauge cluster LED conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took a look at the light switch along with foglight and rear wiper switchs and had a couple questions. The twist bulb for the dimmer is blown what type of replacement is this? And the foglight switch has smaller maybe 3mm LEDs. I have a shit ton of 5mm can I just use those? And will I need resistors or does 3 v 5mm not change that

20180105_151546.jpg 20180105_153127.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy how can I get the LEDs to shine evenly I have crazy hot spots

I was thinking about wrapping the white frame with aluminum tape

I have done several tricks to help with hit spots. The easiest trick is to sand the tips of the LEDs flat. This serves two purposes, a flat LED disperses the light spread wider that a round tipped LED. Plus the sanding leaves the tip with a dull or hazy finish which helps to diffuse the light more than a crystal clear tip.
Also, I sometimes use the "strip" LEDs in the clusters as they have far less tendency to cause hot spots.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done several tricks to help with hit spots. The easiest trick is to sand the tips of the LEDs flat. This serves two purposes, a flat LED disperses the light spread wider that a round tipped LED. Plus the sanding leaves the tip with a dull or hazy finish which helps to diffuse the light more than a crystal clear tip.
Also, I sometimes use the "strip" LEDs in the clusters as they have far less tendency to cause hot spots.

How delicate do you want them and what grit do you use

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How delicate do you want them and what grit do you use

I usually use about 220 to 320 grit. Any more than 220 and it leaves really deep sanding scratches. You CAN however start with 120 or 150 for fast knockdown, then finish with 220 or 320. I have also used Emery boards as well and they work ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17