'04 Gauge cluster needle calibration & dim DIC vs. gear display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been playing around with different configurations of factory gauge cluster parts for my 04 Tahoe since the lq9 engine swap was completed. First thought was a Denali cluster, but then moved on to 05 Escalade cluster. In order to keep my original Tahoe cluster details(miles, use, etc), I did an overlay swap from the Escalade onto the original Tahoe cluster board after having a stepper motor soldered in for the trans temp. Concurrently I started looking at other needles from other GM vehicles of the same vintage and now have the original whites, a red/flourescent orange set, and blues. In placing the needles back on the stems, I can get close to reading correctly, but not exact. Is there a procedure to calibrate needles to read spot on?

When I had the stepper motor installed, I also had the local soldering guy I use to re-flow the solder on the resistors that are a known problem to the sides of the speedo stepper motor and plug. It brightened up the Gear display but the DIC is still dim in comparison and hard to read the DIC display with sunlight shining on the cluster. Are there different solder joints to check for the DIC display brightness?

I'm trying out a couple different overlays, HD vs Escalade with the Escalade lens, so there will be a few more times I need the needles reset. Thanks in advance.

cluster2.JPGcluster3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar