LED tail lights with resistor, CC inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdl04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just installed some new LED tail lights on my 05 Yukon Denali and now cruise control doesn't work. Now that I have this issue I have seen that this is common and that the main fix for it is an in-line resistor. These tail light assemblies came with a resistor already wired into each of the assemblies but still no cruise control. Here's a link to what I got:

Any ideas how to fix this? I assume check fuse for CC but is there anything else anybody knows about that might have caused this?

Thanks!

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some of those in my Amazon cart that I have not pulled the trigger on… Think I will wait to see what the final solution is.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where do you see that they have integrated resistors? I see one review that asks how to fix the cruise control, and the answer is to add resistors.

OP
OP
B

bdl04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where do you see that they have integrated resistors? I see one review that asks how to fix the cruise control, and the answer is to add resistors.
It shows them in the 4th picture on Amazon. Also, I have them and can see the resistor. It's not super clear from instructions which lead from the harness goes to each of the connectors on the tail light assembly so maybe I just have them flip flopped. The running light, brake light, and signal seem to all use the same set of LEDs so I'm going to try swapping and see if that fixes it. Don't have the highest hopes that'll work though.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
B

bdl04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1000002909.jpg
Here's my Yukon with the lights installed. I noticed that I had the wires between connectors crossed. Fixed that and still no dice. Going to swap the connectors all together later and see if that does it. If not, I'm out of ideas.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put your old lights back in and if your cc works, it’s most likely the new lights.

Put an ohm meter on the old lights and compare that reading with the same reason in the new lights.

My guess is your new lights have a slightly too small resistor and the system thinks you have a bulb out.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your old lights back in and if your cc works, it’s most likely the new lights.

Put an ohm meter on the old lights and compare that reading with the same reason in the new lights.

My guess is your new lights have a slightly too small resistor and the system thinks you have a bulb out.
This is probably the most accurate answer. I have LED tails and they had resistors built in already as well. I had to run extra resistors on the LED tails, tied into the running light setup since on mine, and I’m assuming the OP’s lights, the running light also functions as a brake light so it needs proper resistance in order for cruise control to function correctly.

OP
OP
B

bdl04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is probably the most accurate answer. I have LED tails and they had resistors built in already as well. I had to run extra resistors on the LED tails, tied into the running light setup since on mine, and I’m assuming the OP’s lights, the running light also functions as a brake light so it needs proper resistance in order for cruise control to function correctly.
I think you all are correct. Thanks for the advice. I'll get that going and let everyone know how I end up for future reference.

Thanks!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you all are correct. Thanks for the advice. I'll get that going and let everyone know how I end up for future reference.

Thanks!
Keep us posted on what happens with it. Also nice looking 2005 Denali. My 2006 Xl Denali is the same color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan