How many of you DO NOT experience buffetting and vibration problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No buffeting, suburban is 45k miles, riding on 275/65r18 GY SR/A

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I am guessing that the buffeting problem is normally occurring when the windows are open? Is this correct? if so then it isn't limited to these vehicles. My Avalanche had the same problem and a couple of window rain guards nearly eliminated the issue. But at some point if I have the back and front windows open, there's a certain point where the interior still feels like air pressure hitting your ears a bit. But I just open or close one or both of the rear windows a bit and it goes away. Now it could be that it isn't as prominent in my Avy because the back window is right there but I have experienced it for sure.

Also I have experienced this in my wife's 2011 Buick Enclave and my bro-in-law's 2014 Explorer. Is my description of the problem on par with what you all have experienced?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I am guessing that the buffeting problem is normally occurring when the windows are open? Is this correct? if so then it isn't limited to these vehicles. My Avalanche had the same problem and a couple of window rain guards nearly eliminated the issue. But at some point if I have the back and front windows open, there's a certain point where the interior still feels like air pressure hitting your ears a bit. But I just open or close one or both of the rear windows a bit and it goes away. Now it could be that it isn't as prominent in my Avy because the back window is right there but I have experienced it for sure.

Also I have experienced this in my wife's 2011 Buick Enclave and my bro-in-law's 2014 Explorer. Is my description of the problem on par with what you all have experienced?

No. The issue is when the vehicle is all closed up with windows fully closed. There is a consistent ear popping sensation at certain speeds. Some are more sensitive to it than others.

yes, it is very common for almost every car nowadays to have this sesation when one or a rear window open.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The issue is when the vehicle is all closed up with windows fully closed. There is a consistent ear popping sensation at certain speeds. Some are more sensitive to it than others.

yes, it is very common for almost every car nowadays to have this sesation when one or a rear window open.

Exactly what he said. While I did not encounter a tahoe or suburban during test drives that did this before I purchased my 2017, the one vehicle I have driven that had it bad was a hard top wrangler. It was unpleasant.

The low speed "booming" I did notice slightly on every 2017 I drove, including the one I now own. But it is so minimal that it doesn't bother me in the least. I believe it's the nature of these vehicles that have been made so air and sound tight. Clearly GM hasn't figured out how to avoid it. But it takes the right kind of choppy paved road to make it happen.

Last edited:

Rex Kwon Do

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'17 Tahoe Premier with the factory black 22's, 600 miles now.

- no booming

- no/mild buffeting. I think I can notice a very small amount of paying very close attention, but I never would've come close to noticing if not for the internet

- no vibration at all. I know what it feels like, drove 3 '17 Suburbans that all had it, including one that was kinda embarrassing. My '08 Silverado vibrates pretty bad anyways, looking forward to the '19 update

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is very common for almost every car nowadays to have this sesation when one or a rear window open.

IMHO the buffeting issue was that way since the 60's when a window was open [worse yet the back window] out on the highway..My first vehicle was a used high mileage 1 owner dealer maintained Oldsmobile 98 with factory air..It was so nice to ride in quiet..The a/c would have cooled off a 7 room house.

I am baffled why anyone would want to ride around with the back windows down in these vehicles no matter what the temperature is outside..Every once in awhile I see that..Saw a late model Yukon just yesterday with all 4 windows down in this jungle heat out on the highway.

With just about every vehicle since the late 60's with climate control it just does not make sense to me..Now that I think about it I have not opened the back window of any vehicle I have owned since 1968.

As far as buffeting with all the windows up goes I just might have a just a little of it out on the highway..Just barely noticed it recently at 12K miles..Does not bother me as it is so little..My passengers always tell me how smooth my Hoe rides..I do still have the original Continental 20 inch tires on it which probably does not help.

If I did not read about all this buffeting here I probably would not have even noticed it..When I talk to other owners out on the road with these vehicles [2015 plus] they all tell me they have no issues with buffeting.

All that just IMHO..To each their own.

Pohlease

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a lease return 2015 Yukon XL SLT with OEM 22s with brand new Firestone Tires. I haven't experienced any problems. Every time I drive it now I wonder if I will. People make it sound so common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Protect1989

Reaction score
When test driving a Yukon or Tahoe, what are the best ways to test the vehicle for "Buffeting" or the steering vibrations. Are their distinctive speeds or roads that will truly test the vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts

Latest posts