How many miles on original brake pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious. I know it depends on driving habits, whether or not you tow, etc, but I was just wondering how many miles on average most are getting before you have to replace the OE brake pads? On my 2020 Tahoe, with 40K miles, the pads still look like they have plenty of life left.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Several factors to consider. As you said, driving habits, towing, in town mostly or highway, road conditions....etc. The thing to also consider and know is that the front brakes do most of the braking and I have seen two sets of front brakes wear out before the rears are needed. I think my average is about 60k miles. But....I drive my vehicles pretty hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Several factors to consider. As you said, driving habits, towing, in town mostly or highway, road conditions....etc. The thing to also consider and know is that the front brakes do most of the braking and I have seen two sets of front brakes wear out before the rears are needed. I think my average is about 60k miles. But....I drive my vehicles pretty hard.
Thanks!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 158K miles and still have the original brakes on the rear. The front has been replaced twice including rotors.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Denali - OE pads replaced front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors and new pads at 125k. Fronts were starting to get some pulsing when hot, but just hit the squealers. Rears were in decent shape yet, but replaced entire system so all was new at the same time.

Prior to that, I had gone through the system at about 100k and cleaned/lubed the calipers and slides.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
262,000 on a 2015 Silverado. Original rear pads and on first replacement on fronts
Dude! My hero. That's awesome

When did you have to replace your sest cushion.....LOL. That's a shit ton of miles, which makes sense they lasted so long. You've seen some countryside I'm assuming?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1999 Silverado made it to like 120k on the front pads. I assumed they needed replacement and I bought front replacements from the dealership and O'Reilly's for the rear. My mechanic called me and said he'd already replaced the front, but they looked good still and rears looked nearly new. So I told him to not replace the rears.

I replaced the second set of fronts at around 240k with the premium brakes from Advanced Auto (but didn't like that they dust, unlike the OEM sets). The previous set wore just a tiny bit uneven, onto the side with the squealer tab but they still had some life left. I checked the rears and still looked good, so I kept on trucking. Currently around 260k.

Most of the earlier miles when I bought the truck at 88k were highway miles, but the past 200k have been a mix of city and highway.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Denali XL….148K miles….and STILL on the original pads! Now they are getting really close to the ‘squealers’ but still going! I have a set of Power Stop Z36’s w rotors ready to put on the day it hits the indicators!!

Granted I use my Denali for work and 80% of that mileage is highway miles….but im kinda in shock myself they have lasted this long. My last 3 vehicles have all made it past 110K miles with original pads due to my driving habits…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan