How many miles will we get out of our Yukons / Tahoes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have around 170K on my 2008 Yukon. Planning on replacing the driver side valve cover soon, but that's the only engine related item that needs attention.

ta07hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 20w50 oil every 3k miles and get 500k miles easly out of that engine dont use the 5w30 watery like oil after 150k miles

I'm at 167k I use mobile 1 5w30 and I need to add a qt of oil every 1500, I change it about every 3-4K it probably mainly due to never updating the valve cover, but at 167 oil comes out surprising clean, and it looks clean on the stick when it's time for a change. 20w50 is a little thick, I use that in atv's/dirtbikes in the summer when they have a lot of hrs on em, I'd never put that in my Tahoe, just my .02 tho

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use 20w50 oil every 3k miles and get 500k miles easly out of that engine dont use the 5w30 watery like oil after 150k miles

I would not use 20w50 in any vehicle..I only use what the vehicle calls for which would be 5w30 in the 07-14 and 0w20 in the 15 plus.

I would recommend using Mobil 1 with a AC Delco Filter..I change mine every 5K miles..Maybe less if I am in a ton of constant gridlock..It is probably overkill but it makes me sleep better..I get between 250-300K miles out of every vehicle I own and all are running awesome when I sell them.

Just IMHO!!

IIIMag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '04 Tahoe is still going strong at 147k mi. I pull a bass boat a few times/month for up to 80 mi roundtrip and have since I bought the truck with 15 k mi on it. Replaced water pump last summer. Change oil every 3k and fluids and filters as stated in the owner's manual. I am encouraged by this thread. Hoping to get 250k mi out of it.

Treefork

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1999 Tahoe, 153k miles. Daily driver to work and back gets driven about 10 miles a day during the week. I don't tow anything.

88m53453

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
03 Tahoe with 223k and I hope I don't jinx it, but....original engine and trans. and fuel pump. Oil has been 5w30 or 10w30 it's entire life, synthetic since I bought it at 65k, changed every 7-8k. No towing except rarely. Complete redo on the AC , compressor, drier and hoses. Water pump and alternator
Upgraded front brakes to 07 variety, new wires and other normal items. It has the GM piston slap and has for years
Runs a Black Bear tune, uses a qt every oil chg

Dommmo33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vehicle: 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L, 118K.
Up until now, it has treated me ok since I bought it at 84K miles. I purchased an ASC Deluxe Plan 2 w/Total Care Coverage w/4 years/48K miles (whichever first). I have about 12K miles left of warranty and right now it's in the shop for a new (refurbished) front differential, axle seals and a new fuel pump to replace the one that's leaking. Yes, I am now happy I bought the warranty! I've taken good care of this vehicle. So far this is the most I've had to deal with, other than spark plug replacement and some EVAP issues (purge valve, vent valve assembly). My goal is to drive this vehicle another 5 years because it's a great ride and perfect for my needs (towing family camper, boat, comfy ride and fully loaded with options). I've heard you can get upwards of 250-300k on this engine, but realistically at what cost with other typical components that need servicing/replacement? I'm wondering what others have experienced as they've entered the "high milage" category on their vehicles, particularly 2007-08 year class (I've heard transmission was a two-year run and has been known to have some issues). With regular maintenance and not abusing vehicle, how many miles can it go and what commonly fails around a certain mileage? I know there are many factors, but I thought it would be fun to hear from others. Please share!
I own a 2000 yukon xl with 356,00
Up until now, it has treated me ok since I bought it at 84K miles. I purchased an ASC Deluxe Plan 2 w/Total Care Coverage w/4 years/48K miles (whichever first). I have about 12K miles left of warranty and right now it's in the shop for a new (refurbished) front differential, axle seals and a new fuel pump to replace the one that's leaking. Yes, I am now happy I bought the warranty! I've taken good care of this vehicle. So far this is the most I've had to deal with, other than spark plug replacement and some EVAP issues (purge valve, vent valve assembly). My goal is to drive this vehicle another 5 years because it's a great ride and perfect for my needs (towing family camper, boat, comfy ride and fully loaded with options). I've heard you can get upwards of 250-300k on this engine, but realistically at what cost with other typical components that need servicing/replacement? I'm wondering what others have experienced as they've entered the "high milage" category on their vehicles, particularly 2007-08 year class (I've heard transmission was a two-year run and has been known to have some issues). With regular maintenance and not abusing vehicle, how many miles can it go and what commonly fails around a certain mileage? I know there are many factors, but I thought it would be fun to hear from others. Please share!
I have 356,000 miles on my 2000 yukon xl. Original motor and tranny. Best value ever, recently repared cross member strut bushings, wheel bearings and rear brakes. Still runs awesome.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 356,000 miles on my 2000 yukon xl. Original motor and tranny. Best value ever, recently repared cross member strut bushings, wheel bearings and rear brakes. Still runs awesome.
That's incredible! Is the body holding up ok? At what mileage points did you change tranny fluid and did you always do a full drain w/filter change? My 08 yukon denali has 119K, just had front diff and fuel pump replaced and is back to running like a dream. I think it's barely broken in based on your mileage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_burks