How many miles will we get out of our Yukons / Tahoes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vehicle: 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L, 118K.
Up until now, it has treated me ok since I bought it at 84K miles. I purchased an ASC Deluxe Plan 2 w/Total Care Coverage w/4 years/48K miles (whichever first). I have about 12K miles left of warranty and right now it's in the shop for a new (refurbished) front differential, axle seals and a new fuel pump to replace the one that's leaking. Yes, I am now happy I bought the warranty! I've taken good care of this vehicle. So far this is the most I've had to deal with, other than spark plug replacement and some EVAP issues (purge valve, vent valve assembly). My goal is to drive this vehicle another 5 years because it's a great ride and perfect for my needs (towing family camper, boat, comfy ride and fully loaded with options). I've heard you can get upwards of 250-300k on this engine, but realistically at what cost with other typical components that need servicing/replacement? I'm wondering what others have experienced as they've entered the "high milage" category on their vehicles, particularly 2007-08 year class (I've heard transmission was a two-year run and has been known to have some issues). With regular maintenance and not abusing vehicle, how many miles can it go and what commonly fails around a certain mileage? I know there are many factors, but I thought it would be fun to hear from others. Please share!

Last edited:

schandler88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
310k here on my 07 XL, 369k on my 01 Yukon.

A little TLC goes a long way on these trucks, change the oil pretty religiously at 3,500 - 4,000. Change other fluids and filters regularly and keep it clean. And most of all, dont beat the piss out of it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
310k here on my 07 XL, 369k on my 01 Yukon.

A little TLC goes a long way on these trucks, change the oil pretty religiously at 3,500 - 4,000. Change other fluids and filters regularly and keep it clean. And most of all, dont beat the piss out of it.

That's impressive! Has your transmission held up well on the 07? I also tow a camper at 6,000 pounds about 6-7 times per year, with longest trip being 3 hours each way on mostly flat Wisconsin roads. My aftermarket warranty will expire in about 12K (another 9 months or so). Wondering if it's smart to consider an extended warranty on the powertrain. Transmission fluid was flushed at 70K (previous owner) and I'll have it done again in a few thousand miles along with a filter change.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hopping we see around 250000 with pulling a 6k camper every now and then.

250K would be great! Any big repairs so far? The body on mine is still in nice shape, but I took care of a few small surface rust bubbles on rear passenger door corner a few weeks ago. I sanded the areas where paint was lifting, painted some rust reformer and went over the top with AC Delco touch up paint and clear coat. It's a little crude, but a fairly small spot and not in a very noticeable area. My goal was to slow down whatever might be starting without paying $1,500 to have it professionally done at this time. Hopefully it will do the job.

schandler88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 01 had a trans at 270k and the 07 is still on the original, though occasionally there is a delay on the 1-2 shift. Took it to my trans guy and he said its not worth dealing with right now. Just keep driving it. It maybe happens once a day and I can do 100-200 miles a day for work.

01 is a 5.3 and the 07 is the 6.0 L76 vortec max or whatever they call it. The stupid vvt and DoD motor.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
My vehicle: 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L, 118K.
Up until now, it has treated me ok since I bought it at 84K miles. I purchased an ASC Deluxe Plan 2 w/Total Care Coverage w/4 years/48K miles (whichever first). I have about 12K miles left of warranty and right now it's in the shop for a new (refurbished) front differential, axle seals and a new fuel pump to replace the one that's leaking. Yes, I am now happy I bought the warranty! I've taken good care of this vehicle. So far this is the most I've had to deal with, other than spark plug replacement and some EVAP issues (purge valve, vent valve assembly). My goal is to drive this vehicle another 5 years because it's a great ride and perfect for my needs (towing family camper, boat, comfy ride and fully loaded with options). I've heard you can get upwards of 250-300k on this engine, but realistically at what cost with other typical components that need servicing/replacement? I'm wondering what others have experienced as they've entered the "high milage" category on their vehicles, particularly 2007-08 year class (I've heard transmission was a two-year run and has been known to have some issues). With regular maintenance and not abusing vehicle, how many miles can it go and what commonly fails around a certain mileage? I know there are many factors, but I thought it would be fun to hear from others. Please share!

My 05 GMC Sierra is sitting at 215k miles and until last month I had only done oil changes.

Last month I change the following
Valve cover gaskets
Oil pan gasket
Front diff seals
Knock sensors
Rear main seal
Valley cover gasket

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you don't even have AFM to worry about in the 6.2L, you are just getting started at 118K.

Just keep up with the maintenance, oil changes etc. and you'll easily get 250-300K out of it without major mechanical problems.

Sure, there will be wear items you need to replace (suspension parts, brakes, alternators etc.), but the drivetrain should be solid.

Just keep on truckin'!

ali saleh

Reaction score
Use 20w50 oil every 3k miles and get 500k miles easly out of that engine dont use the 5w30 watery like oil after 150k miles

rook

Reaction score
08 Denali, 170k. Oil pickup grommet let loose, no oil pressure, fixed that. Tranny is fading fast. What I think (hope) is the t-case just exploded, FML. It must have had the piss driven out of it in another life, but I'm looking at replacing the entire drivetrain. And, because of the oil pickup issue when I bought it going on for who knows how long, I need to research valvetrain upgrades... oh yeah, and cats clogged up - but the new magnaflow cats and exhaust sound awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk