How did everyone else deal with the cracked dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody filled a crack by the air bag? I saw a YouTube video about this and just wondered who else may have had luck doing this.

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that they all crack in the same places, at least at first, but then some have other cracks elsewhere and even whole chunks fall out. Someone once said that it's because it's such a vast, unsupported area is why it cracks. If it weren't for the southern climates, the plastic would be ok supporting itself. This is why I wanna brace the hell out of it when I have it out. Not just reinforce the areas that are currently cracked, but maybe make a "waffle grid" underneath the whole panel so it'd support a toddler if that ever were to happen.

Thanks, and I'll surely make a thread.

I supported mine too with foam. There is nothing under the center dash so it will sag in heat the crack as it cools down. I have never had a cracked dash in my escalade but also wanted to prevent it so thats why i did this. it also lifted it a little bit. Mine did have some sagging.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's more like putting the correct fastener in the right place at the correct torque . Just my 2cents worth . I remember working on customers cars years ago and getting done and wondering where the left over fasteners went .

When was a kid my parents house was the last one on a dead end, no cul-de-sac just straight road then end, last house an it backed up to the woods/wetlands-ish...the house was built on fill and about 10ft past the side of the driveway it dropped down about 15ft, picture the edge of a mound of dirt, nothing steep but a nice, slow, gradual hill... guess where all the 'extra parts' went, i swear after my mom died and he sold the house there was prob enough 'parts' to build a car... motors, transmissions, transfer cases....whenever i worked on something and extra nuts, washers anything, yup, into the woods.....when my parents weren't home my 2 brothers and i would roll shit down the hill, it would hit the swampy wet crap and if heavy enough start sinking, since it was all woods we would cover it with leaves, branches etc, you'd never know unless you went looking... plus if my dad saw he he would of prob buried us down there. We were assholes...last time i went by there i saw the edges of a k5 blazer top poking out......ive 'grown' up now....well sort of...

My OCD will not let me leave it with unused fasteners. Shit, sometimes I lay out screws as I remove them so they go back in their original holes even if they're identical to the ones around them. When finishing up a heater core replacement in my '98 S10, I went to put in the LAST screw that went in the center of the dash under where the defrost vent snapped in. I dropped the screw down the defrost duct. After a few expletives, I just started backing out all the other screws to pull the dash back out to fish the screw out of the air box. Afterwards, realized that I probably could've just put the floor vents on and drove around a bit and it would've ended up in the floorboard.

I now do the same, since ive 'grown up', line up screws, nuts whatever, and put them back in the same hole... when i pulled the tail lights and appliqués i was doing it and i said if anyone saw they would say..... what's wrong with you....lol

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take a few tomorrow. It's simply the carpet type dash cover. Looks better than all the plastic to me

It's like this

cd74e7139cd7554ae06823814f655520.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go. Better than a cracked up dash. Only wish it was a little lighter in color

85fd6a8d84fb45545e14f62032e7fb9e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645