How did everyone else deal with the cracked dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StreetGlider1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the TahoeYukon forums. My Tahoe has a cracked dash board. It looks like this is a fairly common problem. How did everyone else address this? I see that there are several different CAPS available. It doesn't appear that there is any real fix for it. What is the best manufacturer for the caps and why?

Amanda4461

Reaction score
I started using an expandable windshield shade to keep heat off of the dash over a year ago, once my second dashboard had been replaced in 2015. The first dash replacement didn't last a year before it cracked. So far, the second dash replacement looks brand new, no cracks. Texas heat is a killer. I wonder if the newer models still have the same problems? Mine is a 2010. I haven't heard or seen much about cracked dashes in 2015/2016 models.

indigent

Reaction score
I started using an expandable windshield shade to keep heat off of the dash over a year ago, once my second dashboard had been replaced in 2015. The first dash replacement didn't last a year before it cracked. So far, the second dash replacement looks brand new, no cracks. Texas heat is a killer. I wonder if the newer models still have the same problems? Mine is a 2010. I haven't heard or seen much about cracked dashes in 2015/2016 models.

I have a '15 PPV from work and while we're supposed to use a sunshade, mine seems to have disappeared...... The dash seems to be of a different material than my '09 LTZ, almost like it's thicker and not as flimsy as the '09. My RADAR readout and front antenna are mounted up there and it's held up well.

My LTZ has 2 cracks and I guess I'll mix up some black epoxy and make it look as good as i can. Luckily they're not more than 1" in length.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I have a '15 PPV from work and while we're supposed to use a sunshade, mine seems to have disappeared...... The dash seems to be of a different material than my '09 LTZ, almost like it's thicker and not as flimsy as the '09. My RADAR readout and front antenna are mounted up there and it's held up well.

Oh good they must have fired the engineer that designed the 07-14 dash, what a idiot! must of graduated at the bottom of his class.

indigent

Reaction score
Oh good they must have fired the engineer that designed the 07-14 dash, what a idiot! must of graduated at the bottom of his class.
The best way I can describe it is that it has a leather look and feel, and it's not hard like the 07-14 dash.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
The dash seems to be of a different material than my '09 LTZ, almost like it's thicker and not as flimsy as the '09.

Can you take a pic when you get a chance? I thought all 07-14 had plastic dashes made of the same material.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw that you have a 15. Glad to hear the dashes are improved in 15+.

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put a dash mat on top of the dash to cover the crack and its good to go

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealer replace mine when I got it. Nearly 2 years and it's just fine, lol.