How did everyone else deal with the cracked dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What cracked dash... lol 72dc9107ee7268f2c99530c1fe636a20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this as an option. Every time I look at the dash, I feel like there's a new crack. They have it on eBay for $148 plus $30 for shipping. There's also one where it only cover the top. Just search dash cap or plastic skin cover.c3db9f38e205efc1f76eb02dae5d6cf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this as an option. Every time I look at the dash, I feel like there's a new crack. They have it on eBay for $148 plus $30 for shipping. There's also one where it only cover the top. Just search dash cap or plastic skin cover.c3db9f38e205efc1f76eb02dae5d6cf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Idk I feel with those dash caps once it's on you'll be able to tell the dash really has a cap on it because of the fitment with all the other dash trim..

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk I feel with those dash caps once it's on you'll be able to tell the dash really has a cap on it because of the fitment with all the other dash trim..

I agree, but I guess it's better than nothing. I think it looks a bit better than those carpet covers.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ I agree with "better than nothing".

My plans are to remove the dash, reinforce and epoxy the cracked areas, then wrap it with a thinly-backed vinyl of matching color and grain. I'd probably wrap the thin piece up by the windshield, too.

If I can find a wrecked truck being parted out, I'd like to get a dash from that and fix/wrap it so I can just swap it in. It'll give me more time work on it and minimize my Tahoe's down time. I don't wanna be rushed with forming the vinyl to all those compound curves and the epoxy will need time to cure.

Last edited:

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ I agree with "better than nothing".

My plans are to remove the dash, reinforce and epoxy the cracked areas, then wrap it with a padded vinyl of matching color and grain. I'd probably wrap the thin piece up by the windshield, too.

If I can find a wrecked truck being parted out, I'd like to get a dash from that and fix/wrap it so I can just swap it in. It'll give me more time work on it and minimize my Tahoe's down time. I don't wanna be rushed with forming the vinyl to all those compound curves and the epoxy will need time to cure.

Sounds like a lot of work, but will look as if nothing happen. I think someone had posted this repair on YouTube, but can't seem to find it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work, but will look as if nothing happen. I think someone had posted this repair on YouTube, but can't seem to find it.

I saw a video where they used special staples that are heated by a gun and melted into the plastic to join the cracked halves together. Then they used stainless metal strips from old wiper blades to reinforce the crack-prone areas and squirted a bunch of epoxy on them to prevent future cracking. The cracks on the surface were barely noticeable. I'm sure I could get away with doing this. But, I don't wanna take it all apart, fix the cracks, then be bothered by seeing the hairline cracks that were repaired. Or worse, new cracks form elsewhere. I could go ******* on reinforcing the underside so it won't crack anywhere and maybe add a thin layer of epoxy to the topside of the cracked areas. I wouldn't have to worry about the appearance since I'm wrapping it in vinyl. It'd be a one-and-done deal.

A lot of work? Maybe. But better than removing the dash more than once and I'd never have to worry about it again. Plus the backed vinyl will have a softer, flexible feel to it rather than the hard molded plastic shell that's there now.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a video where they used special staples that are heated by a gun and melted into the plastic to join the cracked halves together. Then they used stainless metal strips from old wiper blades to reinforce the crack-prone areas and squirted a bunch of epoxy on them to prevent future cracking. The cracks on the surface were barely noticeable. I'm sure I could get away with doing this. But, I don't wanna take it all apart, fix the cracks, then be bothered by seeing the hairline cracks that were repaired. Or worse, new cracks form elsewhere. I could go ******* on reinforcing the underside so it won't crack anywhere and maybe add a thin layer of epoxy to the topside of the cracked areas. I wouldn't have to worry about the appearance since I'm wrapping it in vinyl. It'd be a one-and-done deal.

A lot of work? Maybe. But better than removing the dash more than once and I'd never have to worry about it again. Plus the backed vinyl will have a softer, flexible feel to it rather than the hard molded plastic shell that's there now.

Seeing that the dash has cracked in a bunch of different places for some people, maybe go the underside reinforcement route and have that piece of mind that it won't happen again.

Good luck on this and share your progress.