Everyone likes a mystery, Right? Jumper cables acted like the wires were crossed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks all. SOLVED. Maybe. I took the starter out and noticed the electrical lead’s screw was loose. See my video - Black around nut indicating arcing. Why did I say mabe? I will install a new starter soon.

I am having issues with my 2015 Yukon Denali Not cranking - battery acting dead, no error codes. I was suspecting a bad starter that may be putting too big of a load on the battery. Setting that aside for the moment, I removed the battery and it was checked and determined to be bad. I bought a new battery and installed it. The car still wouldn’t start causing the battery voltage to drop fairly sharply while trying to start. So…. I figured, new battery - not fully charged. So I tried to jump it.

I placed the jumpers on the Denali first ( correct order - no positive terminal contact with ground), then I connected the other positive lead to my Honda (which was running) and then connected the ground lead to the Honda’s battery and mega Sparks flew And the Honda Pilot shut off. Not just a few sparks, it was like the battery was going to explode, so I yanked the jumpers off suspecting I swapped them (never would, never had). The jumpers were correct. THE HONDA RESTARTED NO PROBLEM. My Denali seemed also fine as the dash came on and there were still no error codes. There was no indication (weld marks) anywhere consistent with the sparking.

It was as if the sparking caused something in the Denali to “let go” and it started. Not sure of the integrity of the Denali so we didn’t drive it today. When I tried to start the Denali today, the battery was dead. I am pretty sure nothing was on causing the drain, but time will tell.

Battery trouble? (although new). Engine or starter trouble? In the past there were times of hesitation when starting. Most times not. This could indicate a number of things like a marginally charged battery (now replaced). Or possibly a failing starter. With the new battery, time should tell.

But my confidence is low at this point I wonder if anyone has had similar problems, insight or suggestions. TIA

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with my 2015 Yukon Denali Not cranking - battery acting dead, no error codes. I was suspecting a bad starter that may be putting too big of a load on the battery. Setting that aside for the moment, I removed the battery and it was checked and determined to be bad. I bought a new battery and installed it. The car still wouldn’t start causing the battery voltage to drop fairly sharply while trying to start. So…. I figured, new battery - not fully charged. So I tried to jump it.

I placed the jumpers on the Denali first ( correct order - no positive terminal contact with ground), then I connected the other positive lead to my Honda (which was running) and then connected the ground lead to the Honda’s battery and mega Sparks flew And the Honda Pilot shut off. Not just a few sparks, it was like the battery was going to explode, so I yanked the jumpers off suspecting I swapped them (never would, never had). The jumpers were correct. THE HONDA RESTARTED NO PROBLEM. My Denali seemed also fine as the dash came on and there were still no error codes. There was no indication (weld marks) anywhere consistent with the sparking.

It was as if the sparking caused something in the Denali to “let go” and it started. Not sure of the integrity of the Denali so we didn’t drive it today. When I tried to start the Denali today, the battery was dead. I am pretty sure nothing was on causing the drain, but time will tell.

Battery trouble? (although new). Engine or starter trouble? In the past there were times of hesitation when starting. Most times not. This could indicate a number of things like a marginally charged battery (now replaced). Or possibly a failing starter. With the new battery, time should tell.

But my confidence is low at this point I wonder if anyone has had similar problems, insight or suggestions. TIA
I would check the battery cables and cable from battery to starter, that cable get's burned at the starter sometimes or might even be touching the heat shield and shorting out.
at any rate that much of a short should be easy to find

OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would check the battery cables and cable from battery to starter, that cable get's burned at the starter sometimes or might even be touching the heat shield and shorting out.
at any rate that much of a short should be easy to find
I will, I wish it was that easy! Thx

OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I charged the battery anyway. The battery check on my code reader is at 12.4 volts. When I push the start button, I hear a click in the engine and all lights on dash go black and the voltage drops to 12.0. 5 or 6 seconds later, I hear a click and the dash lights come on And the battery reads 12.4 again?
(plus my Denali front cowl will not clear my ramps).

will a code reader indicate a starter problem?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I charged the battery anyway. The battery check on my code reader is at 12.4 volts. When I push the start button, I hear a click in the engine and all lights on dash go black and the voltage drops to 12.0. 5 or 6 seconds later, I hear a click and the dash lights come on And the battery reads 12.4 again?
(plus my Denali front cowl will not clear my ramps).
Put the ramps behind the front wheels and back onto them if the front lip is too low

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, if you cannot get it up on ramps, maybe jack it up and remove the wheel and wheel well. Like Doubeleive says, that much sparking should leave a mark somewhere.

OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

After searching Youtube, i found a link that showed what mine is doing somewhat. The guy replaced his starter. After I banged the starter, nothing happened. Why would I spend $1000 for a tow and starter, unless I am sure the starter is bad?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After searching Youtube, this link shows exactly what it is doing now, try to start, goes dead. Seconds later comes on. He replaced the starter. So that’s what I’m going to try. I’ll let you know how that turns out. Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to get under the car to bang on the starter. There was no waybto drive it, or back it on ramps.
it's probably worth making some effort to inspect the battery cables & starter cable before just buying a starter..... that's my advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork