Hi Tech Auto Theft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kellbe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and am trying to find out if anyone has had a similar experience. Last night I think someone tried to steal my Yukon XL. I went out to run an errand and as I was approaching my rig, I noticed a dude standing next to the car next to me...elbows on the roof, facing my rig and holding a cell phone. It looked like maybe he was texting someone. I didn't think anything of it and got in my rig and after starting it noticed that the driver memory activated and everything started moving into place for the driver 2 settings, and the radio was on and tuned into a station I never listen to. I thought this was odd as I had shut off the memory feature long ago. I repositioned my seat and mirror, and proceeded to back out and noticed a car had pulled into the parking lot, had pulled a u turn and beeped his horn. The dude next to the car walked over and got into this vehicle and I pulled around them and continued on my way. After pulling into a gas station about a block away, I noticed something on my windshield and got out and retrieved the item. It was a Walmart Trac Phone, powered up, with a screen lock, and had been laying on my wiper blade, face down so that the ear piece was facing the windshield. I noticed that it was positioned almost directly over the sensor in the middle of the dash. I think that dude was using the phone to try and transmit a code of some sort to open the door locks, and who knows what else. My Yukon has OnStar, however I do not currently subscribe to the service. I have had the Yukon for about 2 months now, I bought it used and didn't get an owners manual with it. This is my first time owning a GM product for many years and am actually still getting to know it. I can honestly say I absolutely LOVE this rig...it's my favorite of all the vehicles I have ever owned, with exception of a 1970 Plymouth Cuda I owned many years ago. Anyway, this kinda has me a little freaked out. I don't want someone jacking my rig. Has anyone else had any similar experiences out there? I'm not really sure what all I can do to ensure the safety of it...but for tonight, I have removed the 3 big relays under the hood as they all seem to interchange with the starter relay. Anyone have any other ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, but with everything being hooked up to a computer you never know.

I would love to know if this actually works.

I am freaked out to even put a set of wheels on her......now I have this to worry about.

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously there are easier and faster ways to get into these trucks. Screw driver is all you need. Screw driver in the bottom of the door handle, push lock down or up I am not sure, alarm goes off (deactivates). Screw driver in ignition, since our trucks don't have chips in the key it starts right up and they are off. Less than 10 secs to be on your way if you know what you are doing.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Wire in a kill switch! Easy to do and low cost. Oh and don't do the hi beam that's the first thing they all try.

Also they are super easy to steal. Sorry. I have jimmy jam jammers , ****** tracker and kill switches

Your onstar is the old on it won't work you can go to the dealer and have it updated / upgraded if you want.

Last edited:

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I am more worried about someone hitting my truck with a baseball bat or car. Am I wrong to feel comfortable about OnStar needing a mere pbone call from me to track and shut it down?

OP
OP
K

kellbe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, and the advice! I appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it!

OP
OP
K

kellbe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey where would the best place be to tie into for a kill switch?

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the main power going to the Ignition relay in the fuse box. Its a bit of searching the wiring schematic to figure it out but you cant bypass it from the source if your trying to steal the truck. It would take hours for somebody to figure out. Don't use the starter its to easy to by-pass and most thieves expect it.

I have put kill switches in many locations in the past. Under the dash, fog light activated, headlight activated, AC activated, Combo switches, switch under seat, switch in glove box, switch in ash tray (I like this one), hidden blank panel, Parking brake activated.

The activated ones I used a board I built that uses a relay and Power source to turn it on until the truck is turned off then it deactivates until the power source is activated again. I am a electronics geek and have rewired cars for fun so it may be a bit more complicated than it needed to be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapperdadman