Heater on driver side while ac is on full blast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teqdogg

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an older thread, especially when there are many on this topic. I have been doing a bit of research on here after learning my newly purchased 03 Z71 has actuator problems. My front passenger seat is getting all of the heat when the a/c is on but the driver is fine. I know I need to replace the actuator in the dash but it was my understanding the dash had to be removed to get to this. I read the post above and am now excited to hear that the dash may not have to come out.

Has anyone actually replaced this actuator without removing the dash? Do you just need to remove the radio?

You should not need to remove the dash, just the piece of the trim that goes around the left side of the dash, over the steering wheel, to the radio. Remove the 4 screws holding the radio in, 7mm i think, pull the radio out and it will be behind it, to the right.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Has anyone got a link to the AC Delco replacement from amazon for $100? Having this problem as well.

Search the part number I posted earlier in the thread on Amazon :cool:

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I should be able to handle that. I just reset the system and it was working today but I know that means I am already on borrowed time. I will try and get the radio out sometime in the near future and at least start by cleaning that actuator.

One more question for anyone to answer. I have been unable to get just the vent to run without running the compressor. If I turn on the vent with just the panel selected it will blow cold and you can tell the compressor is running by how cold the air is. Yes I am trying this in non-auto mode and without the a/c on (snowflake off) and the defrost is off. I cannot find anyone else mention this problem so I am leaning toward I am doing something wrong but I can't imagine what. Any ideas?

jfoj

Reaction score
Once the actuator was removed, I marked the center actuator part relative to the case, so when I took the actuator apart, I would realign the black gear so I would install the actuator back under the dash without issue.

I then used a small screwdriver and carefully opened up the actuator. What I found was the black gear has a small brass metal contact that moves across the circuit board to indicate the position of the stepper motor. I found a *** of grease on the end of this contact and on the circuit board. I removed th e black gear and used Q-tips and alcohol to clean up the grease and circuit board to remove all the grease in this area. Once I had the grease cleaned up, I carefully re-aligned the black gear when reassembling the actuator.

I reinstalled the actuator under the dash and now my AC works great without any of the knocking noise and no cold to warm flashes on the drivers side. Saved between $100-$200 on parts!

Sceebo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You should not need to remove the dash, just the piece of the trim that goes around the left side of the dash, over the steering wheel, to the radio. Remove the 4 screws holding the radio in, 7mm i think, pull the radio out and it will be behind it, to the right.

I read through this post and the one linked earlier in this post so I thought I would try this myself. My 2004 Denali XL is getting heat out the passenger vents when we want cold. I just to get to the actuator and its a no go. You cant even see the part through the hole where I removed the radio/gps. I have taken out the A/C vent on the passenger left and I can see it. I can touch the edge of the part and could maybe unplug it if I could get it to blow cold air. I dont like to part way fix stuff. There is an air vent right over it and I cant get to it to even feel screws much less remove them. My Denali has the center console so I guess it is configured differently. I took the top of the dash off and I still cant get to it because of the air vents. I guess I will have to remove the entire dash air vents and all to get to this actuator. This is extremely frustrating. I am thinking it might be worth paying the bucks and taking it somewhere that has done this before.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my passenger side actuator myself last year and it is a huge pain to get to. The information above indicating you can access it behind the radio is false. It can not be done on these year models. The actuator is located behind the center vent in the dash and there is little room around it. Here is a detailed write up to change the passenger side actuator.

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/2004-chevrolet-silverado-dash-cover.html

That being said it is possible to change it without taking all of this crap apart but you need patience and small hands. I was able to remove and replace mine with only removing the glove compartment door, center dashboard vent and the storage hole underneath the center vent. From what I remember I was able to access both screws holding it in place from the center vent hole but I had help from someone who was looking up from the glove box hole to guide me to the rear screw. I was able to get a small ratchet and right size socket in there to loosen it up but it was tight. The black vent tube that runs above it is not brittle and I had someone help me push up on it to give me extra room while I worked the ratchet.

I wish I had taken some pictures last year but all they would have shown is what you already see with the vent cover off. If you have any questions let me know.

Sceebo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, 03z. I was about to take the dash out but with the deluxe center console the chilton manual says i have to remove the seats, then the center console, then the dash. I dont mind removing parts to facilitate maintenance but that would be ridiculous to change that one little actuator. I did notice that i could press up on the air vent but couldnt press and work at the same time. I will get another pair of hands and see if I can make some progress. Thanks again for the reply.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. I would say a second pair of hands is a must and even with that black tube being pushed up hard the right tools will barely fit and it will be slow moving getting those screws out and back in. Still beats taking the entire dashboard apart. Just made sure you have gone though the calibration of the actuators first to make sure that does not solve your problem. Those instructions can be found on that same link I posted.

Sceebo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got it done last night!! Yes!! I got the part out Sunday but it was too late to get a new one. I picked one up at Autozone yesterday after work for $138 retail. If I had more time I would have ordered one but I am going to Florida in 2 days and wanted the A/C to work for the driver and passenger!
Thanks for the advice about pressing up on the air vents. I had been pressing up a little bit but not enough. I used a 1X2 piece of wood and some other shim material and was able to pry up enough to barely get the job done with a 1/4 inch ratchet. I was able to rest the 1X2 on the other side of the actuator for pressing up. Luckily nothing broke. The new actuator comes in the halfway position so I just moved the vent knob with a pair of pliers to match it. It moved easy but was just easier to reach with the pliers. Putting the new one in was a little faster since I had "learned" how to press up on the air vent. It was still a pain in the rear but I was able to get the new actuator installed and all the dash back together in about 3 hours.
I had the negative cable off while installing the new actuator. After the install I connected the negative cable and started the engine. The A/C controls for passenger and driver were automatically set to 70 I think. I had left the vent cover off so I could watch the actuator activity. I let the engine run and didnt touch the A/C controls for a few minutes, cold air was coming from ALL the vents. I cranked the A/C down to 60 on the passenger side and I could see the actuator move to the limit. I cranked it up to 90 and could see it move to the limit on the other side. I was really happy to see it working as expected! I get cold when I want cold and hot when I want hot, thats nice!
I must have missed 1 screw when I put it all back together because I have 1 7mm screw left over. I dont know if I will pull the dash cover off to find where I missed it or not since 2 of the clips on the dash cover broke when I pulled it off. I suspect at least 1 was broke before. When I test drove last night there was a light rattle coming from the dash right in front of the driver but this morning I didnt hear it. Maybe after my trip to Florida I will pull the dash cover and see if I can find where I missed it.

Thanks to 03z and others that have gone before me for sharing their knowledge on this site. I became a supporting member today. I figure I just saved several hundred dollars in labor expense at a dealer or other repair shop so it wouldnt hurt me to throw a few bucks down to support this great site!!

I really like my 2004 Yukon XL Denali and I plan to drive it for a few years. I expect this site to be a great help.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it done! I know it feels when you first realize what may be involved in getting to this part. I was pretty happy myself when I was able to replace it by taking this shortcut.

Don't know what to tell you about your extra screw. I personally would not worry about it unless that rattle continues.

Isaac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Driver side blend door actuator is located where?

The driver’s side on 2004 Tahoe Z71? I have seen conflicting posts.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman