2005 Tahoe blowing hot on driver, but cold everywhere else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only wanna hear from those who had this exact issue. I have no problems with it blowing on defrost when it shouldn't or anything like that at all. I think most of us shade tree mechanics know how bad the GM blend door actuators suck. Ours has the manual controls (no digital) if that matters

Our '05 is blowing hot on driver side ONLY. It blows cold on passenger and rear. I've already done the recalibration procedure numerous times. After doing so, it will blow cold everywhere, but after a few seconds the drivers side decides to go back to hot.

Here is my question....is this an issue with the blend door actuator located at bottom side of dash over the transmission hump? I'm not interested in chasing ALL the other actuators. Based on what I've seen, this problem seems to be most likeley the one that's fairly easy to change on bottom side, just above tranny hump.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y
I only wanna hear from those who had this exact issue. I have no problems with it blowing on deforst when it shouldn't or anyhting lie that at all. I think most of us shade tree mechanics know how bad the GM blend door actuators suck. Ours has the manual controls (no digital) if that matters

Our '05 is blowing hot on driver side ONLY. It blows cold on passenger and rear. I've already done the recalibration procedure numerous times. After doing so, it will blow cold everywhere, but after a few seconds the drivers side decides to go back to hot.

Here is my question....is this an issue with the blend door actuator located at bottom side of dash over the transmission hump? I'm not interested in chasing ALL the other actuators. Based on what I've seen, this problem seems to be most likeley the one that's fairly easy to change on bottom side, just above tranny hump.
yes the one under the passenger dash is drivers side blend, luckily the easiest one to do

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y

yes the one under the passenger dash is drivers side blend, luckily the easiest one to do
This was exactly my thinking. Thank you!

Since there are multiple actuators, are they all the same? Or is there a specific PN for that particular one?

I rigged itup by pulling the plug keeping it on cold for now. Not a permanent fix, and no hot option, but its summer so always cold should be OK for now

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was exactly my thinking. Thank you!

Since there are multiple actuators, are they all the same? Or is there a specific PN for that particular one?

I rigged itup by pulling the plug keeping it on cold for now. Not a permanent fix, and no hot option, but its summer so always cold should be OK for now
you will want to probably look on rockauto to find the one you need, they can be tricky they sometimes all look the same, fit the same and same pins but operate differently
maybe even hit the junkyard and pull one as often they have been replaced already.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is at least 17 years old now I can't imagine why you would think the actuators should last forever.

As others have said, the driver's side temperature control actuator is in the passenger footwell above the transmission.

GM OE or bust.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is at least 17 years old now I can't imagine why you would think the actuators should last forever.

As others have said, the driver's side temperature control actuator is in the passenger footwell above the transmission.

GM OE or bust.
I'm not sure where I ever said I expected the blend doors to last forever. In fact, I went back and read my original post and I don't see how or why you feel thats what I was implying. I had a simple question of trouble shooting which one could be causing the exact issue we're currently facing. Appreciate the help, buddy

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where I ever said I expected the blend doors to last forever. In fact, I went back and read my original post and I don't see how or why you feel thats what I was implying. I had a simple question of trouble shooting which one could be causing the exact issue we're currently facing. Appreciate the help, buddy
You've edited something, maybe the title of the post that gave that impression and I was poking a little fun as is my nature. Think nothing more of it.

Have you double checked the part number used? Putting in the wrong one can make it run the opposite of what you want. New ones can be defective right out of the box too.

We have a Tech-2 owner's map on here, you can see if one of us lives close by and we can put the Tech-2 on it and see what's going on inside without a lot of guessing.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've edited something, maybe the title of the post that gave that impression and I was poking a little fun as is my nature. Think nothing more of it.

Have you double checked the part number used? Putting in the wrong one can make it run the opposite of what you want. New ones can be defective right out of the box too.

We have a Tech-2 owner's map on here, you can see if one of us lives close by and we can put the Tech-2 on it and see what's going on inside without a lot of guessing.
I belive based on my research and calling local auto parts stores that Murray PN DA 1046 is the proper part. I probably won't use the Murray part, but that at least gave me a PN to start x ref with. When I search that PN I also find Dorman x ref part 604-106, I see many reviews of people saying both of those parts fixed their driver side hot, passengaer side cold when AC is on (which is our issue). Have not however found the correlating GM PN which I assume is probably an AC Delco? AC Delco unfortunately seems to have gone down here as of lateley, so I may be better off using one fo the other manufacturers I mentioned.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belive based on my research and calling local auto parts stores that Murray PN DA 1046 is the proper part. I probably won't use the Murray part, but that at least gave me a PN to start x ref with. When I search that PN I also find Dorman x ref part 604-106, I see many reviews of people saying both of those parts fixed their driver side hot, passengaer side cold when AC is on (which is our issue). Have not however found the correlating GM PN which I assume is probably an AC Delco? AC Delco unfortunately seems to have gone down here as of lateley, so I may be better off using one fo the other manufacturers I mentioned.
ACDelco has several levels of quality. For the actuators, the GM part number and ACD part number are on the same box, they're top notch. There's no other grade with these.

Is this manual or auto control panel? I think it makes a difference in which actuators were used. @OR VietVet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo