Has anyone installed their own heated seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonester1011

Reaction score
Just tacked this yesterday...seats came apart pretty easy. I do upholstery so it was pretty much cake . Took me about 20 mins per seat to put the heater pads in. I actually swapped the whole carpet in the truck to a darker grey while we were wiring the seats too so all together with whole carpet swap took me and a friend about 5 hours. He handled the wiring, while I ripped up the carpet. Nice kit tho from gmpd. Only thing is their customer service blows!!! To say the least. After giving them my in to get the correct color for the switch housings they sent me the wrong color. I needed dark grey, they sent black. Then after telling them he said I would be charged a 30% restocking fee. They ****** up, not me so this makes perfect sense right?? Yea i don't think sl either. **** them. Oh and this is after receiving emails form them after 3 days of waiting. I still haven't heard back. Jerkoffs!! I just picked up some interior trim paint instead of waiting, all good. One thing tho...does anyone know where exactly you need to go to get the seats to work. I can use the scanner at my body shop, but what exactly needs to be programmed or reprogrammed??

mcm1209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought my Tahoe Wednesday. It came with aftermarket heated seats with the switches in the center console.
I would like to put the switches on the door pull. Can somebody take a pic of the back of the door pull so I can maybe wire in the after market ones.
Big thanks

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oempartsdirectinc.com/accessories

it's listed on there for a good price and includes shipping.

AKA SIR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ughhhhh. I know this thread has been idle for over a year, but I have a question.

I got one of these kits and installed it in my 2013 Tahoe. Between this thread and the so-so instructions that came with it, the install went pretty straight forward. Only problem is.... I just got back from the dealer. They installed the update to activate them and they still dont work. They said it is still programmed for them if I can get it working, otherwise I will need to take it back in and have their service dept look at it.

I am pretty stumped since, like I said, the install went smooth. I didnt come across any wires or plugs that I didnt know where they went. Everything plugged in where it was supposed to.

Here are the only things that come to mind...
1) There are two plugs that need to be connected to the junction box under the dash (near the brake pedal). Both fit in the spot that they were supposed to, but I noticed on the larger one (the one with more wires) there was a black wire coming out of the back of the plug that is cut and only about an inch or so long. Is that supposed to be? I didnt know if it was the ground or something and needed if you have other accessories that need to share it or something? (I will try to snap a pic of this)

2) As mentioned in this thread, the plug for the back pad and the bottom pad are the exact same. From looking at the photos, I believe I plugged them into the correct spot on the harness. I can't imagine if these were swapped it would cause the system not to work, but anyone?

3) For the new door latches, they each have one plug and it is grey in color. I think this is pretty straight forward, but behind the door panel, there are a couple open slots - each of them with a color printed right above it. I plugged them each into the one that says "GREY"

4) As mentioned in this thread, the harness is the same for SUVs and for pick ups. There are some wires that are only used for pick ups. Just to confirm, the loose wires (the ones without the jackets - I think they are yellow and purple) are not needed for SUVs, correct? Also, there are two wires that have plugs on them... those are not needed for SUVs, either, correct?

Any help is appreciated... I really dont want to have to take it in and have to pay a couple hours for a service guy to open it all up and look at it.

Thanks
Jeff

AKA SIR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: I took it to a different dealer and they were able to reprogram it just fine. So apparently the first place I took it didnt know that multiple modules needed to be reprogrammed (even though I provided them with the instructions stating that). Gotta love dealers! In any case, my seat heaters now work just in time for summer.

twurzi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Black Wire Needed on SUV Install?

1) There are two plugs that need to be connected to the junction box under the dash (near the brake pedal). Both fit in the spot that they were supposed to, but I noticed on the larger one (the one with more wires) there was a black wire coming out of the back of the plug that is cut and only about an inch or so long. Is that supposed to be? I didnt know if it was the ground or something and needed if you have other accessories that need to share it or something? (I will try to snap a pic of this)

Thanks for bringing this thread back. Based on others experiences I purchased the heater kit for my Yukon. Everything went together smoothly. On the SUVs it appears that everything plugs right into sockets made especially for the designated plugs. I had the dealer program the modules today and nothing....they felt there was a mistake during the install. The only place I may have made a mistake was with black wire that appears to be coming out of the 8-way connector that comes in the kit. I assumed this was to be another wire (ground) to be used on the pickup install or if the vehicle has a previous accessory install (rear DVD). I have not seen anyone discuss the need to connect this on the SUV and believe it or not the instructions are a bit confusing (step 46). The truck forum website listed in this thread describes splicing it in to a larger black wire on an 8-way connector located two plugs above where the new 8-way plug fits. I see this wire, but wanted to hear from someone who installed this on an SUV if it is required. Also, if needed what is the best way to tie into this wire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher

Latest posts