Had the hoe towed home!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you trust it and to prove it drive the balls off it and when you pass an auto parts store stop in and grab a maf sensor and cheap code scanner to keep in the truck as you drive its balls off......just in case.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0068 is a mis-correlation between the MAF and MAP sensors. Basically, the MAF is saying X amount of air is passing through it for a given amount of time which means the manifold should have X amount of pressure in it based on throttle position, engine load, etc. Anyway, what the MAF was saying and what the MAP was saying didn't correlate. This can cause all the symptoms you had before you parked it and called the tow truck. The fact that it "came and went" says it was either a temporary loss of communication (loose wire connection in power or data circuit) or just a glitch in the PCM (not so likely). Codes don't go away immediately even if the problem seems to have been fixed. There's a certain amount of drive events, called drive cycles, that have to take place with the issue not returning before the code will go away on it's own. A dirty MAF usually causes less-than-optimal engine performance and quirky trans shifting, usually late and/or rough shifts.

If it were me, I'd start it and wiggle the wires around the MAF and MAP sensors. Maybe even give them a SLIGHT tug. Maybe tap them with the handle of a screwdriver. One of the sensors could have a cracked solder joint that opens when heated, so it may be rock-solid until you driven it, then something like a bump in the road sends a slight jolt that causes an open circuit for a split-second and triggers the lights and Reduced Engine Power mode. I'm leaning more towards a MAF issue over the MAP.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
WOW , thanks that's the best explanation I've gotten so far. Haven't found much on the google about it but i'm thinking it relatively simple fix. I think i'm going to drive her to work tomorrow I still have the scan tool and I can clear the code if need be.

I hadn't driven her more than a block when the event happened so she was still cold in my opinion.

Big thanks again Chris!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW , thanks that's the best explanation I've gotten so far. Haven't found much on the google about it but i'm thinking it relatively simple fix. I think i'm going to drive her to work tomorrow I still have the scan tool and I can clear the code if need be.

I hadn't driven her more than a block when the event happened so she was still cold in my opinion.

Big thanks again Chris!!

No problem.

This scan tool you borrowed- is it just one of those basic pocket "Read/Clear" models or is it an upper-scale model that can display freeze frame data? When a code is set, a freeze frame is stored in the PCM. The freeze frame is a datalog showing what all of the sensors were reporting to the PCM at the time the code was set. If your scanner will show freeze frame data, you can see what the MAF and MAP sensors were telling the PCM at that moment. If one of them is showing something far out of spec, then you can focus your attention towards that sensor and/or it's circuit. FYI: People often are quick to say a sensor is faulty when they get a CEL, partly if not mostly because the parts stores are quick to push sensors onto them. For example, someone's CEL comes on and they go to Vatozone to have the code read. The code says the oxygen sensor is reporting a high or low voltage (rich or lean). Pretty much every time, the parts salesperson is gonna tell them they need a new O2 sensor. This may not necessarily be the case. The O2 sensor could be perfectly fine and was just doing it's job by reporting that the exhaust was rich or lean, which means you need to see why the exhaust was rich or lean- stuck injector, exhaust leak, other sensor reading faulty and making the PCM erroneously over-compensate, etc.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem.

This scan tool you borrowed- is it just one of those basic pocket "Read/Clear" models or is it an upper-scale model that can display freeze frame data? When a code is set, a freeze frame is stored in the PCM. The freeze frame is a datalog showing what all of the sensors were reporting to the PCM at the time the code was set. If your scanner will show freeze frame data, you can see what the MAF and MAP sensors were telling the PCM at that moment. If one of them is showing something far out of spec, then you can focus your attention towards that sensor and/or it's circuit. FYI: People often are quick to say a sensor is faulty when they get a CEL, partly if not mostly because the parts stores are quick to push sensors onto them. For example, someone's CEL comes on and they go to Vatozone to have the code read. The code says the oxygen sensor is reporting a high or low voltage (rich or lean). Pretty much every time, the parts salesperson is gonna tell them they need a new O2 sensor. This may not necessarily be the case. The O2 sensor could be perfectly fine and was just doing it's job by reporting that the exhaust was rich or lean, which means you need to see why the exhaust was rich or lean- stuck injector, exhaust leak, other sensor reading faulty and making the PCM erroneously over-compensate, etc.
Good point.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Chris, the scan tool is an OTC 3109nlaz Auto scanner. I didn't see anything on the menu for the freeze frame event. I drove her to work and back today, the only thing I noticed is the throttle body seems to be slow to return to idle from say 1500 rpm and seems to be downshifting a little odd. that may be due to the slow idle response, kinda like having your foot on the gas when you are trying to stop, if you know what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645