Had the hoe towed home!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As in you couldn't modify anything. Just a gm specific scan tool was all it did, and harder to use. That's all. We could do way more stuff with our otc encore and bosh j2534 setup on everything we bought credits for.

Edit: the Chinese tech2 was like buying a universal $25 harbor freight one for more money and only read the codes. Couldn't clear them either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You SHOULD be able to do "way more stuff" with a $1500+ scan tool, which is what a shop needs. The idea with the knock-off TechII is to do the same or nearly the same stuff (with GM vehicles) for a few hundred bucks. Sure, this may be limited to GM only, but that's fine in this situation because the OP was talking about a scan tool for his Tahoe. Sounds like there was something wrong the one your shop received.

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You SHOULD be able to do "way more stuff" with a $1500+ scan tool, which is what a shop needs. The idea with the knock-off TechII is to do the same or nearly the same stuff (with GM vehicles) for a few hundred bucks. Sure, this may be limited to GM only, but that's fine in this situation because the OP was talking about a scan tool for his Tahoe. Sounds like there was something wrong the one your shop received.
No your not understanding the way I meant it. I understand the tech2 is a gm only tool. Just stating that for the money they paid for the clone it was no better than a 25 dollar generic scanner that only works on gm. It does nothing but read the codes and data. No output controls, no ability to clear codes, no access to bcm or other systems. Just saying as a factor of buyer beware on the clones.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I'm on the fence I see what you are saying , if I get the tech 2 or buy a decent scan tool and maybe later get a range AFM delete and later a black bear tune and on and on If the tech 2 works I can do so much more. Oh and by the way I only have GM vehicles in my family

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some quick researching, I'll have to retract my suggestion about the Tech2. Apparently, it won't work on anything past 2009 and an MDI is needed.

No your not understanding the way I meant it. I understand the tech2 is a gm only tool. Just stating that for the money they paid for the clone it was no better than a 25 dollar generic scanner that only works on gm. It does nothing but read the codes and data. No output controls, no ability to clear codes, no access to bcm or other systems. Just saying as a factor of buyer beware on the clones.

I'm understanding your post as a warning to the OP that some clones may be defective and no better than a $25 Harbor Freight scanner. Either your shop got a defective one that would only do limited one-way actions, didn't know how to use it or they tried it on a 2009-2010+ vehicle. The clone is supposed to everything the real ones do as attested by at least one member on this site (fiatdale). What muddied up the water is when you compared an apparently defective clone your shop has/had to $1,500+ legitimate scan tools that also work with other manufacturers.

Roger, I apologize for the confusion. Basically, if you want 2-way capabilities, you're gonna have to shell out big bucks. Apparently, there is an MDI clone, but we'll leave that out of this thread. There is a bevy of one-way scan tools if you wanna get something to just access data and clear codes. How much info you wanna be able to access from however many modules will determine what scan tool you get. Do your research and choose wisely. I have an Autel MD802 and it reads everything on my Tahoe I've tested it against. Supposedly, it'll perform all possible one-way functions. I got it for $205 on eBay from authorized distributor- unauthorized distributors have them less, but service after the sale is likely non-existent.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Update , I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor , reset the codes, drove it around the block and everything is ok,

So now what , no check engine light no codes and will it fail again soon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman