Had the hoe towed home!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, the scan tool is an OTC 3109nlaz Auto scanner. I didn't see anything on the menu for the freeze frame event. I drove her to work and back today, the only thing I noticed is the throttle body seems to be slow to return to idle from say 1500 rpm and seems to be downshifting a little odd. that may be due to the slow idle response, kinda like having your foot on the gas when you are trying to stop, if you know what I mean.

According to OTC's site, the 3109N does live data and freeze frame. Next time the light comes on, don't be so quick to clear it. Wait til you get home or parked somewhere you can plug in the scan tool and search through the menu(s) for a freeze frame on the code(s) it retrieves from your PCM. The odd throttle actions could be (and probably are) related to the recent issues. Unplug the MAF and see how it responds. It may seem confused at first, but it should resort to a speed density tune and settle out. Yes, your SES light will be on, but just ignore it for now. If the hanging idle issue goes away, then you're narrowing the problem more towards a fault with the MAF or it's circuit. Since the hanging idle problem seems to have happened after you cleaned the MAF and TB, I'd suggest popping off the intake tube again and checking for any residues. Quite often, someone will clean a TB with a solvent as normal. The solvent loosens the built-up crud and turns it into a liquid that makes it easy to wipe away. It's difficult to see and get to all of the liquefied build-up, so some of it is left behind. It eventually runs down and collects in the bottom of the TB. The car is parked over night, the build up solidifies back into a gummy state, and is now causing the throttle blade to stick (which can't be felt with a DBW setup). But, it could also be acting as a dam to keep the throttle from closing fully and smoothly when you're off the pedal.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
yea I was gonna reclean ithe Throttle body this weekend because my first impression was maybe its sticking in the pivot points where it rotates. but what you said makes a heck of a lot more sense,. then I'll try disconnecting the maf. according to OTC website and fleebay that scanner comes with a cd so I guess you could hook up to a PC but autozone didn't provide it. maybe I should just but a good scan tool anyways. thanks again Chris. oh yea I forgot a Buddy of mine at work says I need to spray tb cleaner or carb cleaner around the intake to see if there is a leak. good idea but I don't think that's an issue. any thoughts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to read everything you need to see on the scan tool's screen. Usually, those CDs have drivers to interface the scan tool to your computer so you can update the tool's software and print the data from it. Regardless, it's not needed for your purposes.

It's always good to double-check your work. I'd save the carb cleaner for actually cleaning the TB and just visually inspect the intake tract from the MAF to the TB. It's only a few clamps and couplers and it can be easy to not have one slipped on all the way. A leak between the TB and MAF will result in unmetered air entering the engine, and that can cause idle and drivability issues. It can affect the trans shifting because the shift tables are partly determined by engine load, which is determined in part by engine vacuum, which is read by the MAP. So, pop off the intake tube and clean the TB again. Then be extra attentive when reassembling everything. I spray a light squirt of Kroil or WD-40 on the inside of the rubber couplers to help them slide on much more easily.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

Reaction score
Unplug the MAF and see how it responds. It may seem confused at first, but it should resort to a speed density tune and settle out. Yes, your SES light will be on, but just ignore it for now. If the hanging idle issue goes away, then you're narrowing the problem more towards a fault with the MAF or it's circuit. Since the hanging idle problem seems to have happened after you cleaned the MAF and TB, I'd suggest popping off the intake tube again and checking for any residues. Quite often, someone will clean a TB with a solvent as normal. The solvent loosens the

Ok this morning I re cleaned the tb and the maf. The TB was still somewhat dirty as it was cloudy the other day and hard to see, it's clean now. I drove it around a little, No change, same thing takes a while for idle to settle back down. I unplugged the MAF, it didn't seem to make a huge difference, still slow to return to idle, CEL did not come on, but Service stabilatrac light came on

Oh I did find the freeze frame feature but it was already erased

Last edited:
OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

Reaction score
I've read a few things about the cold air intake tube, how do you check it for leaks?

air tube.png

This is just a picture from google, but if it has an open seam it could probably wreak havoc with drivability. seems like a real stupid design :confused::2cents:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I've read a few things about the cold air intake tube, how do you check it for leaks?

View attachment 78886

This is just a picture from google, but if it has an open seam it could probably wreak havoc with drivability. seems like a real stupid design :confused::2cents:

The best way would be to find a brick wall and throw that thing at it as hard as you can. Now your KNOW it leaks, and you can get yourself a decent MIT.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I still owned 2009 Hoe, It did exactly the same as your symptoms describe. Long story short eventually after emergency motel stay, the Local dealer came up with a GM recall bulletin to replace throttle sensor, his description. Ran fine after ward and no charge because of recall. No more problems finally sold the vehicle to daughter in law who loves it. I bought a 2014 Yukon and am very satisfied with it

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

Reaction score
Thanks, it's running good just takes forever for the idle to settle down . I took a video of the tach, but I can't upload because it's a .MOV file I'll check to see if there are any TSB's out there.

OP
OP
2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE

Reaction score
Update, I just got home from the Mountains of NC, Round trip about 350 miles The hoe ran fine and is getting an average of 19mpg with a full load, two dogs and running 70-80mph. I still never found a hard fault with the dtc P0068, All I did was clean the throttle body 2 times cleaned the MAF sensor. The weird idle problem went away after I disconnected the battery. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that was it. Thanks to all for your input. Later All !!!!