Guess the Drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the amount of drop would vary with any parts other than springs. A 2" drop may end up with truck "A" being lower than truck "B" because truck "A" sat lower in the first place (different factory spring rate, more suspension wear, etc.). But, a 2" spindle drop on one truck should equal a 2" drop on any other.

I'm gonna guess your drop is 3-3.5 in front and 4-4.5 in the rear. If it has a functioning Auto-leveling system, then I'll guess ~5" rear drop. Regardless, it looks great and is pretty much how I want mine to sit. So, I'm in for details.

*EDIT*
You answered right before I posted. I have to say I'm a bit surprised and satisfied knowing that spindles and coil relocators will get me where I want it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's at a 2.5/4 right now

Front: 2" McGaughys drop spindles, Belltech SP struts with one 1/2" spacer removed from stock position
Rear: 4" DJM drop spring, DJM end links, Belltech SP shocks, McGaughys shock extenders

I am considering going with Tony's 6" drop spring and removing the bumpstop bracket, as well as adding DJM trailing arm relocators. Since I can adjust the front struts in 1/2" increments, I figure I could swap out all the stuff in back and see how it looks compared to the front... then remove any strut spacers as needed.

I'm wondering how practical it would be after this. If the rear was 2 inches lower, there would only be about an inch gap from tire to fender... Same story up front if I dropped it to match. Can anyone with a similar setup give feedback on this?

Thanks

Do you have any issues of any kind with it as it sits now? Any bottoming out or rubbing, even if it's only at full lock? Any funky steering feel after dropping it? How well did it align afterwards?

OP
OP
lowh07

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any issues of any kind with it as it sits now? Any bottoming out or rubbing, even if it's only at full lock? Any funky steering feel after dropping it? How well did it align afterwards?

At one point I had 24s that required trimming the inner fenders. Because of this, mine front fenders are probably a little looser in some areas than they should be, and I will sometimes notice a rub under full lock in reverse... That is the only time it rubs and it shouldn't even do that normally. I can't vouch for any other tire size. I had to trim my rears as well, but if they barely touched on 305/35r24, I don't think it would be an issue for this tire. If so, it's an easy fix. I do have cutdown Belltech bumpstops that I'm sure hit occasionally, but they are dense foam so it is hard to tell. You definitely notice the stiffness going over speedbumps. My front was lowered 2" for the longest time with the spindles only so alignment and ride quality stayed the same. It seems ok now with the struts but I think I will get it aligned shortly just in case. Steering feels great. If yours is autoride I do not have experience with that, but I know it changes things.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
I was going to guess 4/6 based on mine (profile pic) supposedly being a 2/3.5 (but there's a big year difference too) I too am going lower but probably only another inch all around. Easy for me to do in the back since I still have the bottom spring spacer in and just need to pull it and do the Free Travel Mod. Not sure how I'll do the front, right now it's a BellTech 2" dropped spindle.

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do tony's 6inch rear springs with the spohn panhard bar. You're ready to drop the front accordingly with the parts you already have. I have a 4/6 drop on 26s running 305s so I have to cut up the topside of the fender to get more clearance over big bumps. You might be ok with the wheel and tire setup your running now though.

OP
OP
lowh07

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to guess 4/6 based on mine (profile pic) supposedly being a 2/3.5 (but there's a big year difference too) I too am going lower but probably only another inch all around. Easy for me to do in the back since I still have the bottom spring spacer in and just need to pull it and do the Free Travel Mod. Not sure how I'll do the front, right now it's a BellTech 2" dropped spindle.

That looks good. You might be able to do what I'm doing with the Belltech struts for the extra inch, but not sure about that year.

do tony's 6inch rear springs with the spohn panhard bar. You're ready to drop the front accordingly with the parts you already have. I have a 4/6 drop on 26s running 305s so I have to cut up the topside of the fender to get more clearance over big bumps. You might be ok with the wheel and tire setup your running now though.

I talked to Tony last night and this is exactly what I'll be doing. Based on ground to fender measurements, his springs should make mine sit about level without changing the front. I'm happy with how the front sits. I think I'll keep this wheel/tire size forever...it's my preference for a DD

Crazy how mine will be a 2.5/6 on paper and sit level...

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to guess (because you already said what it is :) ) , it looks great.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At one point I had 24s that required trimming the inner fenders. Because of this, mine front fenders are probably a little looser in some areas than they should be, and I will sometimes notice a rub under full lock in reverse... That is the only time it rubs and it shouldn't even do that normally. I can't vouch for any other tire size. I had to trim my rears as well, but if they barely touched on 305/35r24, I don't think it would be an issue for this tire. If so, it's an easy fix. I do have cutdown Belltech bumpstops that I'm sure hit occasionally, but they are dense foam so it is hard to tell. You definitely notice the stiffness going over speedbumps. My front was lowered 2" for the longest time with the spindles only so alignment and ride quality stayed the same. It seems ok now with the struts but I think I will get it aligned shortly just in case. Steering feels great. If yours is autoride I do not have experience with that, but I know it changes things.

I was asking all those questions to help both of us out. Since I'm aiming to put mine where yours is now, I don't believe I'd have any problems. The free travel mod should've been done on yours at your current drop, so it'll definitely be needed if you go lower. For the front, you'll likely have to do some clearancing with the inner fenders- maybe just some reshaping of them and/or the washer fluid reservoir. I've read of people relocating the reservoir a little, but I may try to heat mine with a heat gun and push it in for clearance. I'll shape the inner fenders the same way if it'll be sufficient.

OP
OP
lowh07

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asking all those questions to help both of us out. Since I'm aiming to put mine where yours is now, I don't believe I'd have any problems. The free travel mod should've been done on yours at your current drop, so it'll definitely be needed if you go lower. For the front, you'll likely have to do some clearancing with the inner fenders- maybe just some reshaping of them and/or the washer fluid reservoir. I've read of people relocating the reservoir a little, but I may try to heat mine with a heat gun and push it in for clearance. I'll shape the inner fenders the same way if it'll be sufficient.

I'll definitely be doing the free travel mod. I may just replace my front inners, as they are cut up from the days of the 24s... I did some searching and found you can get new ones pretty cheap... around $35 a piece. Does anyone have experience with these and know about the quality? I see them ranging from around $20 to $60 each.

Also I've been looking all around but can't find good dimensions on a STOCK height tahoe/yukon. Does anyone know? Ground to fender. RWD LT non-autoride. I think it would be great for everyone to know what I'm actually dropped using the parts I used. I can account for my tire size if I know the size of the tires on the stock setup.

I'm currently 32.25 front/ 33.50 rear...on the dot. Measuring from ground to fender through center of the hub. 285/45r22

Last edited:

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i too have been trying to get the stock height for the longest time as well can't find it anywhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727