Got a "Service Suspension System" message today... Due to the drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! Welcome to my world!

Speaking to another TYF member (Jon), he believes, from his experience, that the truck doesn't try to raise the front (despite it having sensors in the front shocks, etc.). It makes sense, as you can't add anything to the front of these trucks (like a trailer, seats, people, etc.) to make it heavier up there, so you'd have to believe that the engineers didn't design the system to raise the front -- only to have the rear come up to match the front in the event that the rear was loaded up. But, I guess you never know.

Nonetheless, I have to believe that the truck doesn't like the front drop along with the stock links. So, I'll cut some all-thread rod and put shorter links in the front, and hopefully I'll be good to go.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Km i have them in my hand, still stapled to the Instruction. Pm me a addy and ill get that underway to ya. As far as sensors in the front. I thought it was just rears as the front are just spring and strut. Could Be wrong though

Attachments

• IMAG0695.jpg
    IMAG0695.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 29

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the front strut apart on my Tahoe 4 different times and there's not a "bag". I'm pretty sure the front does not adjust up or down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon -- Thanks again for all of your help!

Care to share a little more about what you've found regarding the differences in the front/rear shocks? Am I assuming correctly that since you mentioned that the front set up DOESN'T have a "bag," that the rear does? (I suspected that the shock body, itself, received air internally. Is the airing up done via something OUTSIDE of the shock?)

Thanks, man!

-Kirk

PS -- Sumo, PM sent! Awesome!

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Oh, and if anyone has anymore info regarding getting the warning to stop appearing (should it just stop appearing once the links are shortened, or...?), I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

As far as sensors in the front. I thought it was just rears as the front are just spring and strut. Could Be wrong though

Sumo -- If you cut the front wheels ******* an LTZ, you can clearly see the autoride links attached to the same kind of sensor, just rearward of the top of the suspension. Seems goofy if the front can't "move."

...But is the only point of autoride load-leveling? Or does it adjust the shocks to road conditions a la Corvette "magna-ride" shocks (or whatever they're called)?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ive had this happen when using guys have used the lowering springs. The shaft goes farther into the shock which that link adjusts valving. relocating it like you did with the drop part from mcgaughys does the same thing. This is why i dont sell the springs at all for the autoride trucks anymore.

your not the first to have the issue. Talk to mcgaughys maybe they have a fix belltech did since their spring kit now includes a different bracket for autoride trucks.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
relocating it like you did with the drop part from mcgaughys does the same thing. This is why i dont sell the springs at all for the autoride trucks anymore.

Tony -- How is this any different from dropping the REAR (and not using shock relocators)? The shaft is still farther down in the shock. I rode around with no shock relocators in the rear for a while and threw no suspension messages.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
rear is not a biggie you trick the system with the shorter links it has just airlines going to it.

look at the front shock too totally different set up on the autoride it has the electrical harness up top that goes to it.

Only other thing I would say is make sure your harness didnt fall off the top of the shock and is fully clipped in.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear is not a biggie you trick the system with the shorter links it has just airlines going to it.

look at the front shock too totally different set up on the autoride it has the electrical harness up top that goes to it.

Only other thing I would say is make sure your harness didnt fall off the top of the shock and is fully clipped in.

Ah, ok. I'll check it out. Didn't know about the electronics being different front-to-rear.

What does the electrical harness on the front shocks do [why don't the rear shocks have them]?

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i saw a lot of questions about it, just FYI guys the front struts do not auto level like the rear.

the struts adjust valving in the shock to adjust the dampening.

MY QUESTION:
I have replaced my front struts with Tahoe struts ( i have a 2007 escalade). there was a good reason i had to do it.

what can be done to fool the sensors that now have no where to go into thinking they are plugged in or by any means that will prevent error lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo