Got a "Service Suspension System" message today... Due to the drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service Suspension System warning came on the DIC this afternoon. No such warning ever after the rear coils were installed, and 2+ weeks of driving with the front coil relocators installed...

Any thoughts?

For the record, I did the coil relocators WITHOUT touching the front autoride links (I didn't shorten them). The front came down without doing anything with them, so I left them at stock length.

Thanks for any input!

-Kirk

PS -- I hooked up my EFI Tuner to the truck, looking for a code. There was no code. I hit "clear codes" anyway, just in case, but the warning remained in the DIC upon the next restart. Clicking the DIC "info" button jumped the message to the odometer/temp/direction screen. Upon the next start up, the warning didn't appear...

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Your probably good to go. Could just be an error.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
you wont see a dtc. Air ride is a Different animal. Like Abs will be a different system. The Efi is looking at Emission Related Dtcs. There is nothing in the Front Related or Electrical for the suspension. its has to be that lowered the Front affected the rear. As far as the message, did you forget to Hook something back up? Have you physically inspected the Height sensor since you installed it? Disconnect the battery and Try resetting the System. Maybe its a intermittent problem

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my folks are using my truck at the moment to move a cabinet, and they reported that the warning was on. So, it did come back pretty quickly.

I had a shop do the front drop (and they did not touch the rear at the time), so I believe it was all done correctly. But, who knows. I'll have them take another look.

Again, this message came up after two weeks of no messages.

I'll disconnect the battery. Think that should clear it? (That won't wipe out my current BB tune, will it?)

Thanks!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Well it msot likely has something to do with the Autoride because it is only saying service suspension. If it said traction conrtol then it could just have been the sensors.
More than likely it the relocators that caused the issue.
Hopefully not bending those rods did not result in your compressor being blown due to it being on too much or you are in for a ride.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
yenno i may still have those autoride rods from my Rear lowering Kit. I dont have auto ride so if i have em, you can have em

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sumo -- If you have those links, that'd be sweet. Let me know, please.

Now, Sumo/Modded, you guys have me confused. Sumo, what did you mean by there are no electronics up front that could affect anything? On Autoride trucks, there are links attached to sensors up front, as you know. Should be the same as the rear, correct? ...But the truck will never try to raise the FRONT, will it? I thought it would only try to raise the rear in relation to the front if it sensed the rear was too LOW. WILL it try to raise the front, too?

Modded -- I listen for the compressor. I don't hear it coming on "too much." But, then again, I'm not sure what "too much" is considered.

(I could probably live with a blown compressor -- the ride is better with no air in the shocks! lol)

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Kmel I think it also raises the front if needed.
Too much compressor activity is any more actiivity than it had before the drop.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, fair enough. Ok, I'll keep an ear out. Sounds like I need to put shorter links in up front for starters.

Any idea whether there's such a thing as installing links up front that are "too short?" I'd imagine that as long as the sensors don't think the front is "low," then it won't kick the compressor on. It wouldn't do anything if it was tricked (via short links) into thinking it was too "high," would it? In other words, do I need to be precise with the length of the shorter links, or can I just make 'em an inch shorter and be done with it?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Hmm, I know if they are too long then the system tries to match that side to that taller height on the opposite side. Also it only matches front to rear, not left to right. So basically if the rear one is too long due to a drop it tries to lift it back up constantly to match the front, basically airing up. Now if it was too small I would imagine it would just let air out. So your idea could work.
I'm confused now but I think my logic is right....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10