Fuel efficiency improvements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phantom240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled up over the weekend... about half was highway, other half was driving through neighborhoods with a couple friends that wanted to saran wrap a couple coworker's vehicles (lol). I averaged 13mpg... Sucks. I figure once I fix the cam sensor and EGR valve, it may improve a little. I'm hoping to average 15mpg. I mean, I average 18mpg in my Honda. I have an absurdly heavy foot in that thing because it's a blast to drive. Gets 31mpg on the interstate with the A/C off, so that should tell you what kind of city MPG I get. LOL

Kcbuckeye22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm getting 13.2 on a new GM motor, new fuel filter, caps, rotor, wires, disturber, new air filter, and no AC running. 99 Tahoe 4x4 with 147 k miles, 265/75/16, bone stock. It would be nice to see 15 MPG. Makes me think I have something else going wrong with this money pit.

ERIC95TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 4wd 2dr. I took an 80 mile round trip. Very little in town mostly highway and i was getting 18.1. Thats the best i ever got with it. I averaged around 60mph Usualy i get 16-17 hwy depend on how i drive. If i drive in town only i tend to get from 10-13 depends on how i drive as well. Its a whole different story in the winter with all the idleing my fuel economy suffers greatly. Best fuel efficiency improvement is to be light on the throttle and keep it up to date on maintanence.

warf1955

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
milage

you should get the same I put a create motor in and noticed no change. Did notice a change of 2 miles per gallon when I put in Lucas ethanol treatment for the better.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

try running some Mistry marvel oil thru it this will clean and treat your injectors, also heat treatment for the fuel tank. You might have water in it, this will dry the water up in the tank.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

1997 Tahoe getting 17 in town 21 interstate

sgtmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I guess my mileage is way off?

98 4DR, 265/75/16. Not sure on gears, I guess whatever came stock with it, possible tow package. 4WD.

No highway, lots of stop and go with a very heavy foot and A/C, not going more than 6-10 miles at a time, getting 9-10 MPG around town.

Just put in an FIPK, have an injector harness and tune up bits waiting to go in.

I know my speedo is off, so my numbers might be a little off.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would verify your speedo accuracy irst then before assuming your mileage is bad. However based on your current driving trips the numbers don't suprise me really.

warf1955

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that is the most dangerous thing you can do. NEVER, stay right behind a semi, you release that for that to work you have to be less than 2 in. off his dot bumper. I drive a semi and to be honest it scares me when I can not see the vehicle behind me.

warf1955

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would suggest narrower tires but 235s on these trucks look like pizza cutters already.
The 235's on mine look like big fat doughnuts and the rear ones stick out about 1/2 in past the wheel well.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

likewise, anytime I see a semi on the highway I get behind him and stay there.

That is the worst thing you can do . Here is why 1) the driver can not see you. 2) To be effective you have to be about 1 in off the dot bumper. 3) If he has to stop all of a sudden you eat the dot bumper. 4) you can be ticketed for following to close. and 5) it is stupid( not saying your stupid ) The act is. 6) you could get someone killed ( your self for starters ). I say this because I drive a semi and it unnerves me when some one does it. I slow down so that thay have to come around me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts