Fuel efficiency improvements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 Tahoe with a 5.7L that is an absolute pig. What is the best way to improve fuel economy?

Proper tune up. Plugs, wires, O2 sensors, check the fule pressure first with a fuel pressure test gage. Check that it reaches the correct fuel pressure and that it holds it after the pump stops running. Some of the stock fuel spiders have a well documented history of becoming gunked up and not introducing the fuel efficiantly. Also the regulator will start to leak and since it's located in the intake it will use more fuel with out you knowing it untill it has fouled the plugs and most likley the o2 sensor and then triggers a CEL. Most replace it with a redesigned spider that moves the injector out to the intake port and makes it more of a multipoint FI. Other than that check you tire pressures. This is the easiest way to gain fuel eco. Most tire shops like to run 30psi. when I have 33 to 34 psi in the tires they where more evenly and I get better milage. You have to stay with in the max ratings of corse but increasing the tire pressure 2 to 3 psi will help.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest narrower tires but 235s on these trucks look like pizza cutters already.

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before the crate motor...18mpg (168,000)...now with the crate, no idea, only have 25 miles on her!

I agree with the tire pressure. Maybe UD's, electric fan, good tune??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz