Front wiper and fluid switch broken?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my front wipers and front fluid do not work anymore. I turn them on and don't hear the pump or wiper motor make any noise.

Cruise works, rear wiper works, rear fluid works and blinkers work. Checked fuse for front wipers inside the Tahoe by the driver door and it was good.

My guess is the arm is done for on my steering column but I just wanted to see what you guys thought before I spent $50 on a part I don't need. If that's the case this then I'll just get this part.

Any ideas on anything else I can check? Thanks.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you checked one but there are two fuses and how about the relay? There’s a relay under the hood that will disable both the fluid pump and wipers if it goes out.

One fuse is left side of dash. The other along with the relay are under the hood.

Double check all three and report back!

It’s a simple circuit that you don’t need a tech2 for. No offense to anyone.

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the inside fuse and I couldn't find a front fuse under the hood. I saw the rear wiper fuse but couldn't find a front wiper fuse for under the hood.

After messing around more I found that my wipers will work on high speed, but power cuts out as soon as you move the dial. So from what I've read in other threads I either have to replace the wiper motor or the stalk on the steering column. So I guess I will start with a wiper motor since that is usually the fix.

Thanks for the info though @M1Gunner and @swathdiver I don't have a tech II as of right now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the opposite, the motor works but the stalk is what controls the speed and since it's not working, that is where I'd go first.

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the opposite, the motor works but the stalk is what controls the speed and since it's not working, that is where I'd go first.

That's the thing though is the stalk works. Granted it only works at high speed, but it still turns them on. That's why I don't understand this issue.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switch is in fact your issue. The fact that it only works in HI mode is the dead give away. Check out this schematic and notice that every speed beside high has a resistor to vary its speed. High is the only one without a resistor. Therefor you have a resistor within the switch that has gave up the ghost rendering all lower speeds inop.

736F3333-990E-4FB9-A40C-89C22D1BB632.png

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slight update and another question @M1Gunner

So I went and unplugged the wire dongle from the wiper motor itself under the cowl. I then loosely put a volt meter at the points on the harness. On low speed I would get around 3 volts. On higher speed I would get around 9 volts. With that in mind you think it would still point to the stalk being bad or would the motor be my issue? I've got the stalk ready to order just want to check before spending $60 on something I may not need. Thanks.

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming back to this. I ordered a replacement switch and put it in. All is still the same. Only work's on the highest setting.

So I guess that leaves me with the motor...

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What?! Take a multimeter, set it to volts, place one lead to terminal D of the wiper motor module and take the other lead and put it to a good ground. Switch through the different wiper speeds and notate your voltage readings. Make positive that you’re getting power to terminal D of the wiper motor module.

And along with that check voltage at terminal F of the wiper motor module as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907