Fluid leak diagnosis help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just acquired a new fluid leak I can’t identify. It’s a red fluid, that feels oily to the touch, and drips directly in front of the right front wheel (see picture). I can see some of the fluid directly above the drip, but can’t see anything near the radiator or the trans cooler lines. It seems like it’s too far over to be the rad but I could be wrong. This just started happening. I did yesterday put some AT-205 stop leak in my power steering fluid (was seeping around the pulley) but I don’t think that would be this based on the color. Could I possibly have run over something? Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a pic where you can see it on the underside of the bumper mount (left side of pic). I have reached up and can’t exactly tell where it’s leaking down from.

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 6

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just acquired a new fluid leak I can’t identify. It’s a red fluid, that feels oily to the touch, and drips directly in front of the right front wheel (see picture). I can see some of the fluid directly above the drip, but can’t see anything near the radiator or the trans cooler lines. It seems like it’s too far over to be the rad but I could be wrong. This just started happening. I did yesterday put some AT-205 stop leak in my power steering fluid (forgive me) but I don’t think that would be this based on the color. Could I possibly have run over something? Any help is appreciated
FRONT RIGHT
is either coolant leak
or transmission fluid leak (the lines are on radiator right side)
both fluids are red, unless you are running green coolant
use a flashlight a try to narrow it down
could be reservoir tank
crack in plastic side of radiator
heater hoses

OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FRONT RIGHT
is either coolant leak
could be reservoir tank
heater hoses
I checked the transmission cooler lines and the heater hoses, and couldn’t see anything. I took a look at the reservoir but it felt dry underneath. Thank you, I’ll keep looking

OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FRONT RIGHT
is either coolant leak
could be reservoir tank
heater hoses
Also would coolant would have a sweet smell? This seems to be odorless

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I figured it out, it wasn’t coolant or ATF. I have a K&N filter that I cleaned and re-oiled, apparently some of the filter oil came out through the air filter housing.
yep that would be it, I would recomend a dry filter. sometimes that oil can get on the maf and could potentially lead to it throwing codes
most likely will never be a issue but down the road if you happen to get strange codes that could be why in which case it can usually just be cleaned

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep that would be it, I would recomend a dry filter. sometimes that oil can get on the maf and could potentially lead to it throwing codes
most likely will never be a issue but down the road if you happen to get strange codes that could be why in which case it can usually just be cleaned
Agree 100%, and if you had enough oil on that for it to actually leak out, it’s way too saturated. You’re going to see problems with the MAF from that I’d be willing to bet.

OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve been on the fence about a dry filter. I like this one since it’s high-flow but between the better cleaning and lack of oil from a dry one I might make the switch. This one is supposedly lifetime, and has been on since well before I’ve had the truck. Any brand recommendation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts