Front suspension rebuild - a couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing all four front control arms, new struts, and sway bar links/bushings. Done with driver's side, passenger side to go.

For the control arms, I'm using Delphi for all four. Looks like the same castings as my original, just about every ridge and casting mark identical. Quality seems good. And I've trusted Delphi for my GM cars many times in the past - they're an OEM for many parts. Went together fine. Price on RA was quite a bit less expensive than that listed for GM OEM or Delco.

For the struts I'm using Monroe Quick-Struts. I was all set to use GM, found the correct ones on RA, and was going to reuse original springs. But I knew I was going to have to get a strut compressor and probably new mounts so it was starting to be a hassle. And there's the added risk of not doing something right with the compressor and busting a finger or worse, so there's that. I happened upon the Monroe's and I'm happy with my decision so far, but of course, I haven't driven it yet. So we'll see.

A couple questions.

1. I'm trying to figure out the origin of the struts I took out. I haven't had any luck Googling the numbers I found on them. They don't appear to be GM. Any thoughts? My rig has just about 200K on it, so I doubt they're original. They still rode decent.

2. An added benefit of the Monroe quick-struts: many reviews mentioned they raise the front 1-2". Sounds good to me - I had purchased a leveling kit, but now I'm thinking I'm not going to use it. Before I started I measured 6" between top of tire and top of fender well at front (8" at rear). Sure enough, I dropped it down off the jack stands after finishing the driver's side and now I'm measuring 7". So just one 1" lower than rear. I think the leveling blocks would raise the front too much - I don't want front higher than back. Seem correct?

IMG_5352.jpegIMG_5359.jpegIMG_5363.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
09 Tahoe. Nice work. Save your old springs. They’re no longer made. If you don’t like the monroe, you’ll have options.

Looks like the tags off a set of OEM Orig struts. The part # should be stamped into the body of the shock like … 20955486 or 20954660

If the Monroe are a high pressure shock than you’ll be able to tell by ride height if they lose some or all their nitrogen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667