Front end questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently replaced my idler/pitman arm because I was getting wheel vibrations when I hit 45-55 MPH, and also intermittently when braking. FYI - I am a 99 Denali 4x4, 150k...

In doing some research, I am thinking that I need to replace my tie rods, and upper/lower ball joints. I am looking at getting the following kit off Ebay.

Ebay Link

My questions are as follows...

1 - Is this a good kit to get, or should I look at getting a different one?

2 - Are there any additional items that I should be replacing while I am under the hoe?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not put those on my truck. My advice and I would imagine you will hear this from others is use quality stuff such as Moog for the ball joints. Failure of a cheap ball joint is a bad thing.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
:badidea: Imported junk.

Be one with moog.:Jedi:

You won't regret it.

I would not just replace everything unless there is eveidence that they are worn.

If you do want to upgrade bushings though use a complete energy suspension kit for about $230 to replace all your suspension bushings. It has body mounts too.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
I want to do Moog, but was hoping there was a less expensive option out there. I have heard really good things about Moog though.

I will have to look into the bushing kit though.

What else (other than what is listed above) could cause the steering wheel to vibrate from 45-55 and intermittently while braking?

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
While braking, damaged rotors or loose or worn bearings.

No brakes at a given speed range definitely loose or worn suspension components.

The one I just bought has similar problems. I have confirmed a pitman arm(major deflection of 3/8" play), idler arm(2-3mm) upper ball joints (2mm) and upper arm bushings. Oh and a broken leaf spring.

You can also buy that bushing kit in seperate parts too if that is easier.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Raybestos upper and lower ball joints. I replaced everything, upper lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm and bracket, inner and outer rod ends, upper and lower bushings, sway bar bushings, inner and outer bearings, rotors and brake pads ... the only thing left for me is shocks.

OP
OP

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
While braking, damaged rotors or loose or worn bearings.

No brakes at a given speed range definitely loose or worn suspension components.

The one I just bought has similar problems. I have confirmed a pitman arm(major deflection of 3/8" play), idler arm(2-3mm) upper ball joints (2mm) and upper arm bushings. Oh and a broken leaf spring.

You can also buy that bushing kit in seperate parts too if that is easier.

The pads and rotors are newish, I installed them in June. Shortly after I purchased the Denali. That was my first thought, a warped rotor or hung pad, but no go on that.

Then I checked the idler/pitman arm and found them to have some play, so they got replaced also. Then I thought maybe there was an alignment problem, so off to the shop I went. All was good there too...

I went with Raybestos upper and lower ball joints. I replaced everything, upper lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm and bracket, inner and outer rod ends, upper and lower bushings, sway bar bushings, inner and outer bearings, rotors and brake pads ... the only thing left for me is shocks.

I am thinking that is probably the list that I will eventually be doing. I am thinking that I can get by with the ball joints, but I am thinking that just doing everything at one time will be a lot easier.

I will be doing the shocks at the same time along with a little drop courtesy of Tony (Norcal SS).

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
New rotors can still be damaged after installation too. If you went to a shop did they not find any worn parts? When I did alignments long ago a drive test and shake test to find damage was SOP before an alignment otherwise you are just wasting money.

OP
OP

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
Did the brakes in my garage. The shop that I went to for the alignment didn't say anything about worn parts.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If the proper instructions for seating new brakes were not followed that could cause problems. ZI f you are saying that the problems still exists then I would reverify yours and others work so far and if you have not already have your tire inflation, condition and balance checked as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA