Front drive shaft needed for over 4" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drumrunner

Reaction score
So i did a bit more digging on this issue and found this:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-198649.html

one of the posts reads,
"If the vehicle has Auto Track, it will have pushbutton 4WD with a button that reads, “Auto 4WD”. You will not need the driveline if your vehicle has the floor shift 4WD or the pushbutton 4WD without the “Auto 4WD” button. If the truck has the newer Auto Track version, it will not need the driveline either. To check for the newer version, leave the truck engine off, transmission in park, and transfer case in 2WD. Grab the tube of the front driveline and try and spin it. If you can spin it freely then you have the newer Auto Track version, no CV driveline required, unless you spend a lot of time in 4WD. If you cannot spin the driveline, then you have the older version and you will need the driveline because it is always turning even when in 2WD."

And mine DOES spin freely when I have it in park and 2WD!!! Theres a 6" lift in TXGMC's future :D

Apparently the "autotrac" was updated sooner than some of us knew?

I have a 99 2 door and just tried this and mine spins free also. I really don't feel like buying the shaft but i will if needed.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here man, but i think im gonna stick to the 4" lift anyway... Im already running 33" tires. But needs more clearance and I already have some 4.10's for the front diff just need the rear gears.
So if i went to 6" id need 35" tires and would rather go to 4.56 gears... so I think ill stick to 4" lift

wicked2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go 6". Mine is 00 and i do need the drive shaft. Makes a loud humming noise when on the street. I take off the drive shaft for daily driving and just install it when going off roading.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
I might reccomend a 6" here as well. Its not like it'll look to tall or something and the extra 2" isn't going to affect drivabliity. It seems most of the 6" kits are made nicer and usually aren't much more $$$ then the 4" lifts.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

I'd go with the RCX 4" Lift but I wish they had an option to opt for larger leaf springs in the rear instead of having to do blocks.... Any suggestions? If I call will they opt for that? Is there a good kit similar to RCX's 4" with leafs and better shocks standard or as an option>?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo