Front drive shaft needed for over 4" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im considering selling my 08 Sierra (on the for sale section already :D )... If it sells Ill go balls out with this Yukon since its my work horse.
6" lift 35" tires on 18" wheels, body work/paint, off-road lights,
smooth bumpers (line-x'ed)
Ill stick with the AutoTrack. Wanna keep the push button 4x4 and I guess ill try the 6" lift with the stock DS if it vibes, ill get the other DS..

Then ill buy my next toy.... Z06 Vette :D

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah from what they've told me on here you'll need a modified driveshaft.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i did a bit more digging on this issue and found this:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-198649.html

one of the posts reads,
"If the vehicle has Auto Track, it will have pushbutton 4WD with a button that reads, “Auto 4WD”. You will not need the driveline if your vehicle has the floor shift 4WD or the pushbutton 4WD without the “Auto 4WD” button. If the truck has the newer Auto Track version, it will not need the driveline either. To check for the newer version, leave the truck engine off, transmission in park, and transfer case in 2WD. Grab the tube of the front driveline and try and spin it. If you can spin it freely then you have the newer Auto Track version, no CV driveline required, unless you spend a lot of time in 4WD. If you cannot spin the driveline, then you have the older version and you will need the driveline because it is always turning even when in 2WD."

And mine DOES spin freely when I have it in park and 2WD!!! Theres a 6" lift in TXGMC's future :D

Apparently the "autotrac" was updated sooner than some of us knew?

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:gathering:

gotta tell Brandon about this, i think he posted a thread about getting a 6" lift right?

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
Im getting an RCX 6" lift some time this week or next week and i looked into the rear sway bar links, but do i really need them?? The sway bars are what keeps you from flexing isn't it??

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh im not sure... havent heard anything about "needing" rear sway bars..

are they listed as "needed" by the suspension lift companies?

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never read anything about needing sway bars, myself. I think it would be counter-productive for the off-roader. Sway bars act as a link between the springs, so that when cornering, compression occurs between the inside and outside springs relative to eachother and the chassis (e.g. compressing one is like attempting to compress both, in an effort to keep your springs level).

Like 96Procomp's Hoe, most lifted trucks do not have rear sway bars for more articulation when driving over uneven terrain. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of 2 door Tahoes and Yukons never came stock with rear sway bars (correct me if I'm wrong). A truck with 99.9% street time, that often corners hard would probably benefit from having sway bars, haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia