Front drive shaft needed for over 4" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure the subject has been brought up before, but couldnt find it from the search....

When I got my Yukon I looked up lift kits and I had my heart set on a 6" so i can run 35" tires. But noticed that it "requires" an aftermarket front DS and that it was $400+, i didnt think it was worth it.

My question is, why a new drive shaft? Is the 6" too tall needing an ext DS? Will the OEM not fit, or is it due to vibration that it "requires" the new DS?
I dont go over 20-30MPH with the 4x4 activated. Is this meant for those that drive on the highway on auto 4x4?

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw something to that effect in a magazine called "Off Road" a few months back. It seems like models with a full time transfer case were affected. They disconnected the front axles which apparently resolved the issue, but of course this means you have no 4WD. I didn't even know they offered what would effectively be an AWD system in these trucks. They did say that some sort of axle swap was available to resolve the issue, but thats all I know which is apparently less than you know already. :Handshake:

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see... hahaha

well, thats for people that leave it on auto 4x4 or "AWD" mode?
But if I always drive on 2HI (since we dont have snowy roads in south TX) would there still be a prob if i go 4" or higher?

I saw that the Rough Country 4" says that the front DS is required. The 4" would be perfect for my tires. Right now they rub quite a bit if the suspension flexes

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a good answer for you, pretty much what I first posted was all the magazine said. Although I figure if they disconnected the front shafts there must be reasoning behind it. I'm sure there has got to be people with this setup that can point you in the right direction though. Good luck!

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, im sure there are people with lifted OBS Tahoe/Yukons on TAHOEYUKONFORUM lol
but, no one has posted!?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has to do with trucks with the AUTO 4wd option. looks like it keeps it from binding up with the new shaft.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, mine has auto 4x4 or "Autotrack" i think its called...
but is the problem when you leave it on autotrack? having the front DS rotating at all times or on 2HI??

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That I don't know. Never really looked into it since I don't have autotrack on my 96.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks i had a 6 inch on mine and i used the stock DS

idk about the autotracks, sorry bro there is a guy on here with a AT lifted,
cant think of his name tho... LOL

xX Mavr1ck Xx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious in this too, I have the same problem with the autotrac and the new driveshaft. I'd really like to lift mine but I dont feel like spending so much on a new driveshaft. You should PM a guy named "bowtiefreak" He knows a lot about suspension and stuff like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10