Friday was a sad day RIP Avalanche

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was towing our camper up to Wyoming for a weekend camping trip when it started to sway on me uncontrollably on a straight stretch of highway. Did everything in my power to save it but just couldn't get it back under control. I wasn't speeding as the speed limit was 75 on that stretch of highway and I wasn't even going that fast. I am guessing at best I got us down to 60 or so before we tipped over. Slid for somewhere between 50-100 feet. I tried to get over to an exit that was coming up to not take out any other vehicles since it was pretty congested Friday evening traffic. We ended up on the shoulder luckily. Wife and I both walked away without a scratch on us.

Right before we left I had new wheels and tires installed on the truck. GMC 22s with a 305/45/22 Nitto Terra Grappler. I had also had the ball joints and control arms replaced on Friday. Truck was driving like a dream when it all went down. I feel like something broke or came undone on the anti sway hitch. It wasn't windy and we weren't changing lanes or anything like that. Just cruising along and the trailer went bananas on me. I have towed 10s of thousands of miles over the years. I also have a boat and a 2 jetskis in addition to the camper. So nowhere near a novice when it comes to towing. Never had an incident like this before and hope I never have one again. Anyways here are the pictures.

IMG-0903.JPG IMG-0905.JPG IMG-0902.JPG IMG-0900.JPG

OP
OP
Bruizza

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They haven't declared it a total loss yet. I expect that to happen today or tomorrow. Just can't see how it won't be a total loss. Pretty sure the frame twisted from the camper tipping it over.

dub I will most definitely get on the gas next time as that is about the only thing I didn't try to pull out of the sway. A few people have told me giving it gas could have possibly saved it. It could also caused me to flip at 75-80 and taken out some innocent family. I can sit here and do the woulda coulda shoulda thing all day but at least we walked away without injury. That is a win in my book. Truck and camper can be replaced. My wife and I can't.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that sucks but SO glad you and the wife are alright! That's the main thing

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Same thing happened around here. It aired on the local news. Driving straight and all of the sudden it started to sway. Camper slid on its side, but the Explorer stayed upright. It was scary watching it on tv. I'm glad you guys are alright. Like you said, the truck and camper are replaceable, you guys aren't!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you and your wife are okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz