Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear lift gate glass handle was UV faded out, so I took it off and refreshed it. On that note, I have also contemplated deleting the handle a couple of times. It looks pretty smooth...and would complement that deleted rear wiper...hmmm....

View attachment 185160 View attachment 185161 View attachment 185162 View attachment 185163

Not sure how involved it would be but you could maybe swap the rear glass off an Escalade or maybe you need the whole hatch? Mine has no handle the trim around the bottom has a slight lip to it kinda a built in handle, looks pretty clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how involved it would be but you could maybe swap the rear glass off an Escalade or maybe you need the whole hatch? Mine has no handle the trim around the bottom has a slight lip to it kinda a built in handle, looks pretty clean
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know which glass you are talking about. My Tahoe has no frame around the glass. Only the handle and trim with the CHMSL at the top. It was just a thought that I have been throwing back and forth.

I may find some hardware and do a test fit to see how it looks. Those holes in the glass for the bolts that go to the latch on the inside are pretty good diameter though. Will see what I can come up with.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I say keep the original glass and go with no handle. Looks clean.

Btw should be able to just polish that handle and not have to spray it:shrug:
As I did that with all my window trim and looks great, actually it looks painted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fit in some small work on the Tahoe this weekend, after my daughter's big 9th birthday party, which was a massive success!!

I aired up the tires to 35psi, cleaned the inside of the wheels and shined the tires. I added 5psi to the helper bags to see if there was any difference in ride as I have been riding with 0psi in them. I also spot treated the drivers side carpeted floor mat.

I soaked and scrubbed the drivers side seat belt. It was really dirty as you can see from the before and after pictures and the water in the bucket. The belt might need another go around, especially after it dried down by the seat bottom, but it looks great for the first solid cleaning.

I pulled the seat belt out as far as it would go, clamped it at the seat to hold it in place and then soaked it in a bucket of water.

Then, in small sections I sprayed your favorite APC (Simple Green or Formula 88) directly on to the belt, let it soak for a moment and took a stiff hand brush and scrubbed the belt directly in my hand, then put it back in the bucket.

I repeated this numerous times on both sides of the belt, changed the water out and scrubbed again to get the ground in dirt out. It sure feels and looks different now.

IMG_7888.jpg IMG_7890.jpg IMG_7891.jpg IMG_7904.jpg
IMG_7907.jpg

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deleted the rear lift gate handle to see what it looked like and how I liked it. I grabbed some different sized body plugs and rubber washers to play with the sizing since the holes in the glass are fairly substantial in diameter. I cannot recall the size of the plug, however the head was wide enough to cover the hole and long enough to go through the glass and latch with enough ribbed threads to actually allow the OEM acorn nuts to thread on and compress everything together.

I also used 2 different sized rubber washers to compress and seal against the glass on the outside. No metal touching anything to scratch the glass or corrode either. Everything cinched together and allowed the mechanism to latch the glass back in place securely. Now I just have to check water integrity.

I did hit the plugs with some gloss black and clear coat to match the window a bit better. There is a small line on the glass left over from the handle, that will not polish out, but hardly noticeable. I know it is more plugs, but gets rid of that handle and almost matches the Suburban now with a clean rear window.

IMG_7892.jpg IMG_7893.jpg IMG_7919.jpg
IMG_7920.jpg

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted the K&N CAI lettering silver, wiped down the underside of the hood to remove some water spots with Lucas Oil Slick Mist, dusted off the top parts of the engine and pulled the rear wiper fuse and label maker taped it to the inside of the fuse box.

IMG_7917.jpg
IMG_7818.jpg IMG_7921.jpg

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I deleted the rear lift gate handle to see what it looked like and how I liked it. I grabbed some different sized body plugs and rubber washers to play with the sizing since the holes in the glass are fairly substantial in diameter. I cannot recall the size of the plug, however the head was wide enough to cover the hole and long enough to go through the glass and latch with enough ribbed threads to actually allow the OEM acorn nuts to thread on and compress everything together.

I also used 2 different sized rubber washers to compress and seal against the glass on the outside. No metal touching anything to scratch the glass or corrode either. Everything cinched together and allowed the mechanism to latch the glass back in place securely. Now I just have to check water integrity.

I did hit the plugs with some gloss black and clear coat to match the window a bit better. There is a small line on the glass left over from the handle, that will not polish out, but hardly noticeable. I know it is more plugs, but gets rid of that handle and almost matches the Suburban now with a clean rear window.

View attachment 186087 View attachment 186088 View attachment 186089
View attachment 186090

love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia