For the new members wondering if 100 or 200k is high miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, normal maintenance an they last. This hasn't even had any special oil used in it. The father in law had the dealer do the oil changes until the warranty was up, then oriellys house sauce until i got it last January. And it continues to get that, but i always run an ac delco filter. He used what was on sale lol

tlgnome24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I love that 25 years ago seeing a car go over 100k was "a lot" of mileage but now I don't even bat an eye until someone shows me a vehicle with 200k+. For all of the added complexity in modern vehicles, they sure can last if they just get regular maintenance.

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was maintained...no its not lol
View attachment 280061last night on yhe way home from work.
Not the Tahoe, but the Silverado. So still a 5.3, just a new oil pump oring, water pump, and needs a knock sensor now.

None of the credit belongs to the big three that’s for sure. But it’s a slow payment for a vehicle 10 times the cost of a new one. If it wasn’t for people doing their own repairs saving a vehicle or to afford one these junks they design would be all going in 10 years. The Rich have it right buy get rid of it in 5 years let the poor have it and buy new and get rid of the worries. Most people can’t afford new. Even if you make your repairs and drive the hell out of it the chassis unibody construction rots away in the Midwest leaving you penniless. The rich don’t care about under coating to them a waste of money so the poor get rusted out junks when their done with them. To late to save them. Wonderful engineering timely rust bucket. I crawl under first and won’t
Open the doors or hood and nothing proud to look at. Ralph Nader picked the wrong subject and nobody has done any better since. We still have vehicles made with still steel rotting brake lines designed to rot out when the poor get to buy the vehicle. And then uneducated people buy them only to have to junk them or get killed or get into a accident and lose their investment they spent their hard earned money on. If it wasn’t for talented people that fix there own these junks won’t be around. So I applaud yea for taken care of it. But the big theee hate you for keeping it. To save a dollar per vehicle on the production line just gives some CEO another vacation home. The never ending battle.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love that 25 years ago seeing a car go over 100k was "a lot" of mileage but now I don't even bat an eye until someone shows me a vehicle with 200k+. For all of the added complexity in modern vehicles, they sure can last if they just get regular maintenance.
My old 96 4.3 blazer was going to make 250k, until i accidentally killed it. Was out wheeling will some buddies and the one time i didnt get out and walk the path i chose to take proved to be a mistake. Turning 5500 in 3rd gear low range and the water went from bumper deep to bottom of windshield deep so fast i couldnt let off in time.
So you know how fast water in the engine stops the rotating assembly? RIGHT. F***ING. NOW. Lol. Two broken rods, shattered pistons, it was a mess.

dougo

Reaction score
Not the Tahoe, but the Silverado. So still a 5.3, just a new oil pump oring, water pump, and needs a knock sensor now.
So why did you change the PVC system also how is the transmission

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why did you change the PVC system also how is the transmission
Well its on the second reman transmission. The first went out around 96k. Second went out at 395k. But we all know how the 4l60e is.

I changed it to the older pcv style valve cover when the father in law still owned the truck. It had a horrible oil consumption problem and smoked kinda badly. Checked the intake and pcv line and sure enough that was the source of oil. Did some research and found the 2 or 3 "updated " style valve covers to still have some issues for some people. I looked at my dads 02 hd with the 6.0 and it NEVER had that issue. So i decided that would be a better route to take with this truck. After the swap it took a couple weeks of driving to get all the oil out of the manifold, but since then its had zero smoke and consumption. Its been at least three years, maybe four. And does fine. Also did the same swap to my Tahoe and no issue there either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigstu516