Exterior Paint Wax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 15 Tahoe, black on black, 1 month old. I have been told by family members, "have you waxed it yet"? Here is my question: Do I need to? The paint looks great! Do I need to use anything special? I'm sure you all have your opinions on what brand wax to use, please enlighten me.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
YES!!
As a detailer you have some wax on it but not much. New cars always need some new car prep. Some cars have scratches from setting on the lot and dealer washes. But if you just got your truck then prob doesn't have scratches but put under the light to see. But main thing is to get sealant on it and wax. You want to make sure you protect the paint. It may look good but sealant and wax protects the paint as well as makes it look good. So as a detailer yes.

Check out Adams products. They are vendor for the site and even have discounts. I use all of their products for my details.

TheAgency

Reaction score
Absolutely you need to wax it! The paint looks great because it's new. Depending on how meticulous you are with your cars, you also might want to clay bar the whole thing (there can be a lot of rail dust and other imperfections from transport). Slowly drag your clean fingertips over clean paint, do you feel any little "catches" or "bumps"? If so, a good clay'ing will fix that.

AMMO NYC has a nice package product for your simpler paint care needs. For crazier folk like myself, for new car prep, use a sealant, a wax, and a polish, only after thorough cleaning (pre rinse, foam gun, 2 bucket wash, clay bar, foam wash again, rinse).

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving this to the "Detail Section" so everyone can help out, not just the 15+ people

:Handshake:

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider that the top clear coat layer of your paint is about the thickness of a post-it note.

Black doesn't have any different propensity to scratch, haze, or swirl easier than any other color on the 2015 color chart, but it sure will show it more.

(There are many pro detailers that often say "Black is not a color, it's a full time job!")

After a good wash, and dry, do the plastic baggie test, use a thin plastic sandwich bag, place your hand inside, and then feel your paint. This will tell you to what degree the condition of the cleanliness of your paint is, and you can go from there.

If your finish feels like sandpaper, then the finish should be then clayed first before any polishing or waxing-sealing takes place. The clay will remove much of any iron contamination as well as other dirts, tree saps, or other contaminants such as paint overspray.

The baggie test can be used anywhere-everywhere on the outside of vehicle, paint, glass, trim to tell you its condition.

The claying will help a new sealant or wax bond better, in that claying can also remove much of old sealants-waxes that were applied previously.

Even all glass becomes loaded with stuck on contaminants, and claying can also be used on all glass to good effect.

There's 1000's of great products out there to protect the finish, natural carnauba waxes, long lasting ones would be products like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, 476 Super Doublecoat, or 915 Marque D'Elegance. Very hard to find waxes that last longer than these products.

Synth Poly Sealants, and for great and inexpensive products, the Duragloss line comes to mind, usually easily gotten from all CARQUEST Stores, works very well, easy on easy off, long lasting, more of a sterile hard candy apple type finish-look versus natural waxes, and very inexpensive. Products such as #105, and #111 Sealants are very good. In fact all Duragloss products are great!

There are literal 100's more products such as waxes, sealants, and also semi-permanent, and permanent paint coatings, some are ceramic based (CQuartz), and some others are resin based (Opti-Coat) The coatings last much longer than any sealant or wax, but cost more initially, and can be trickier, and more labor intensive to apply.

Good washing practices are a definite. This is where swirling occurs, the cleaner you are with such, and using methods such as a two-bucket wash, grit guards, good towels, careful drying techniques, one will lessen such from occurring over tme.

Duragloss Shampoo is a very good one, cheap, rinses clean. Many shampoos sold today often have some sort of waxes in them.

As for polishes, Meguiars #205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish is a superb product, versatile, can be used by hand, DA, or Rotary machine. Again, it is an easy on, easy off product, produces brilliant gloss, commonly easily gotten, even many walmarts carry this as well as major auto parts stores, about $25/qt.

It is true polishes (Like M205) which enhance gloss-shine, permanently remove swirling-scratching-hazing. This is what they are designed to do, usually sealants and waxes are not.

The sooner you protect your finish, and maintain it periodically, the longer the finish will last, and look good. Here in the desert southwest, I see many vehicles which are only a scant few years old, and already displaying clear coat failure. Sole reason for such, is many people here are dead lazy, and perhaps also falsely think just because the vehicle looks shiny, it must have some protection on the paint.

The order is wash-clay-polish-seal/protect.
Hope this helps. Mark

Last edited:

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You most certainly need to wax or protect your paint! There are a lot of choices out there and the post above this one really lays out some good information!

Waxes won't last typically as long as sealants, depending on the conditions you live in. They tend to give you a better finished look in my opinion, but sealants for a daily driven vehicle is the way to go. Surf City Garage has more than a few choices available. Most of them are available over the counter at your local retailer too.

Surf City Garage Waxes and Sealants Page.

Surf City Garage Where to Buy Page.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I've never used any of Adams products, I have heard good comments and there are many fans of this product line.

I have used some of the Surf City Garage car care products such as their detailing sprays, and their tire-trim protectants, and both were quite good. And SCG products can also usually be found at most walmarts and auto parts stores as well, our walmart and a-zone I believe carries them.

Often though, like Meguiars, SCG, and others, places like walmart will only carry a somewhat limited selection of such company's products, which in instances can be quite vast.

Even Turtle Wax, and others like Mothers make a vast array of products, and tools, towels-etc, and seems as of late both seem to be getting more into the "boutique" arena.

There's many others, and companies like Griots Garage, Poorboys, Chemical Guys come to mind as just a few.

As always with car care, use the least aggressive products and methods to attain desired results.

One can go the multi-step approach like others and I mention above, or one can bypass many steps, simply use a good AIO (All in One) Cleaner Type Wax/Sealant-Polish also. There's many on the market.

The choice is of course up to the individual of how much money, time, and what degree of final results you wish to attain.
Mark

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in and agree with everyone else.....GET SOME PROTECTION ON THERE!!!

Adding a sacrificial layer of protection between your clean coat and the environment surrounding it is very important for protection and ease of cleaning. As an added bonus, it will look better also. ;)

Is it a daily driver, or a fair-weather vehicle?

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely get some protection on there. I personally would go with a sealant first and then apply wax on top if you wish. I normally apply Adam's Paint Sealant (have half a bottle left to use up) and have been happy with the results. Adam's Paint Sealant seems to offer long protection as well. My personal fave right now is Hydro-Seal from SCG. Hydro-Seal is super easy to apply and does an amazing job at beading and sheeting. I have seen it last 3-4 months in 100% outside conditions. It literally takes about 5 minutes more that washing and drying the vehicle. I love the stuff actually, makes drying so much easier.

Here is a picture of Hydro-Seal in action+
20140607_180059.gif
20140527_081256.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork