Exhaust Questions.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just picked up my 2001 Hoe LT on Thursday
so far she is bone stock with 83K miles.

I happen to have a pair of Magnaflow Mufflers sitting around my garage. (still have GTO flanges/hangers)
I think this is them http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8596

shopdisplayproducts_universal.asp

I'm trying to decide if one would be fine, or if I should try and find something bigger, or use both?

I'm trying to keep the exhaust work on the cheep.

Last edited:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just picked up my 2001 Hoe LT on Thursday
so far she is bone stock with 83K miles.

I'm trying to decide if one would be fine, or if I should try and find something bigger, or use both?

I'm trying to keep the exhaust work on the cheep.

Welcome to the board first :)

IF you're trying to keep it on the cheap, just replace your stock muffler with one of those. It will also sound louder of course.

Once you get into a truely high performing exhaust, you're definitely talking custom fitted pipe - including an x-pipe to balance the back pressure between the two sides.

There are tons of exhuast systems out there, but cheapest is what you got in the garage :waytogo:

How much did your hoe cost if you don't mind me askin?

b

OP
OP
KrautBurner

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want it to be "too loud"
but I think a truck should sound like a truck

it will end up with some sort of a CAI/open air filter/or airbox mod.

as well as I plan on giving her a tune (HP Tuners)

WarEagleAtl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone on the forum. I've been a member for a while but never posted. However, KB, I just did exacttly what you are talking about to my '01 Tahoe. I replaced the stock muffler with a single Magnaflow and had new pipe ran from the muffler to the rear of the truck where the stock pipe exited. I didn't want anything too loud but definitely wanted people to know when I was about to pass them.

Overall I have been very pleased with the tone and volume I'm getting from the single Magnaflow. It's not annoying on the interstate; it doesn't have that deep gurgling sound like a Flowmaster but it is definitely an upgrade from the 6 foot long stock muffler and it has a nice growl to it.

I hope that helps. Enjoy the new exhaust.

OP
OP
KrautBurner

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board first :)

How much did your hoe cost if you don't mind me askin?

b

oh yeah,

I paid $10,500 for her
(I feel like I got a pretty good deal on a fairly low milage rig)

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Hi everyone on the forum. I've been a member for a while but never posted. However, KB, I just did exacttly what you are talking about to my '01 Tahoe. I replaced the stock muffler with a single Magnaflow and had new pipe ran from the muffler to the rear of the truck where the stock pipe exited. I didn't want anything too loud but definitely wanted people to know when I was about to pass them.

Overall I have been very pleased with the tone and volume I'm getting from the single Magnaflow. It's not annoying on the interstate; it doesn't have that deep gurgling sound like a Flowmaster but it is definitely an upgrade from the 6 foot long stock muffler and it has a nice growl to it.

I hope that helps. Enjoy the new exhaust.

cool thanks,

that's prettymuch what I was shooting for.

do you know what size magnaflow muffler you have?

I actually have 2 of these,
they were on my GTO when I purchased it (replaced with full Borla Cat-Back)