The exhaust dead horse...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have spent the past few days and just about all my free time on this and other sites trying to pick out a thread or even a single post on a fairly quiet, no drone exhaust. I hope I can get a better answer because what I've seen is that people aren't specific about their question on the amount of drone. Some say there is, and others say there isn't though they were comparing like vehicles with the same muffler options. Like that stupid chart at the Dr's office "what is your pain level"? Some say a 2 others say a 11. So I want to explain what my deffinition of drone is so I hope I can get a better answer than a back and fourth of yes and no.
Drone, as defined by me, is a noise in the truck that sounds like someone blowing over the top of a big empty beer bottle an inch from both ears. Most describe it as a howl or a hum. It sounds like a long bass note coming out of the sub of a bad hip-hop song. It is a reverberation of sound inside the cab of a vehicle. I do not think typical exhaust noise, like a loping or purring sound, is drone. It is to be expected when putting on an aftermarket, free-flowing exhaust. And to me, a little of that kind of noise is ok.
That being said, I would like to install on my 03 Tahoe, 5.3, with an Airaid Jr. kit, a dual out set up with a subtle or very mild tone with absolutely no drone. No drone, at any point, inbetween idle and 6000 RPM. It would be perfect to find an exhaust that is similar to stock under 3000 RPM and somewhat aggressive sound in the upper range of the motor. However, I don't want an exhaust to listen to all the time. I have a radio that I like to listen to more than a noisy exhaust. I often cruise on the interstate for 10-12 hours at a time 1 way and don't want to have to compete with the exhaust. My wife talks enough as it is, and I don't need her to raise her voice too. Lol.
I want a dual out set up because I hate the look of the stock tailpipe placement (it looks like an after thought or a misplaced pipe under the truck) and I'm getting REALLY tired of the chrome tip scene. Seems everybody has chrome tips or uses exhaust as an accent for the rear of their vehicle like it was a Harley or something. My simple, mostly stock urban assault vehicle just isn't that cool. I'm going to tuck the pipes up high and behind the bumper with a final downturn flush with the bottom of the bumper. Exhaust is the opposite of the rule of kids, it should be heard, not seen. That's just my opinion though.
I know some of you at this point might be thinking "then what's the point of replacing the muffler?" Or "just do the Y pipe thing after the stock exhaust if you just want a dual out setup". And maybe that's what I should do. But I am hoping to gain a little get up and go and maybe even an MPG or 2 so I'd really like to replace the muffler too.
So, any suggestions? I was thinking for awhile about Magnaflow 12588 but that's what sparked me to write the first paragraph of this post. Or should I do the 12589 and put a Y pipe directly behind it to get a dual out setup? Or does anyone know of a better muffler option?
Thanks for the help

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the largest Magnaflow muffler that will fit for a quieter aftermarket tone.

Or, better yet, keep your factory muffler and find a way to cut out any visible evidence of the factory tailpipe that you dislike. Add an Airaid MIT for a nice intake tone (that sounds similar to a deep exhaust tone) under heavy throttle.

Changing your exhaust will not get you any MPG gains.

OP
OP
Mattsred03

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen how an exhaust alone won't necessarily net any MPG's, but after a tune (once I've got the whole truck how I want it), it should help a bit. Probably should have mentioned that in the book I wrote earlier. Lol.
And thank you for the intake idea. That might be a better idea than an exhaust kit.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing.

I had been wondering for months about a mild but noticeable muffler swap. I finally cut off my resonator and added SLP tips----nice throaty tone on start-up but that's about it. I added the Airaid MIT just before I got a Black Bear Tune---figured it might help---and was pleasantly surprised at the intake tone with heavy throttle. Far more ballsy than I had expected. lol
Now my exhaust is almost silent until I give her deep throttle. Cruising on the highway is 99% factory-sounding. I'm happy.

OP
OP
Mattsred03

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To me, it's whatever makes you happy with your vehicle. I don't have resonators like 3rd gen Tahoes had, my Airaid Jr kit made it noticeably louder, but in a good way. I'm really looking forward to a black bear tune, but a tune won't make me happy if I have an awful sounding exhaust. But I know a proper tune from a good company and not some off the shelf job can basically eliminate the need for a free flowing exhaust anyway. I just wish there was someway to try a tune or exhaust before you buy. Almost all car mods you have to buy and then decide if you like it. And if not, hopefully they have a return policy. I know black bear can give me both an economy tune and a performance tune. That will be nice.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is easy, single in single out ****** aerochamber. It will give you the deepest idle, no droning, decently volume on throttle and a mellow cruise. Its just about the perfect muffler. And its straight through.

20160601_201757_zpshstimw2s.jpg20160601_201807_zpsmgo6i4eh.jpg

OP
OP
Mattsred03

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A straight through with no drone? I thought that drone was a selling point of a straight through muffler.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an Aerochamber on my S10 and it had a great sound for a 4.3. I never thought about one for my Tahoe. Hmmm...

JoeM5952

Reaction score
You can always ask the shop to add a hemholtz resonator to the exhaust to combat drone. If you really want no drone it is probably your only option.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you know about mufflers, you'll know there are two basic kinds. Baffles, and fiberglass. Depending on specifics, they can each flow well or terrible, and be loud or pretty quiet. But the baffle mufflers like Flowmaster always have the tone, where the fiberglass packed generally dont, at least not at much. The genius behind the aerochamber is its half and half. It's got a tuned chamber for sound in one half, and fiberglass like MagnaFlow in the back half. It's ******* badass. And I know I lot of mufflers and how they are constructed internally and this is the only one I know personally that is of this design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE