Erratic Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL Danali that has a speedometer that does not go over 40. After driving it on the highway at 65, the speedometer dropped slowly to 0mph. The odometer works OK as I gauged it via the trip I was on.

My vehicle does NOT qualify for the GM service bulletin for the same problem in previous years.

Can anyone pinpoint the problem for sure? and If it is an instrument cluster, could a hobby mechanic replace it?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Mike

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search for stepper motors. Common problem and common solution.

BTW, :welcome:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Welcome yea gonna be stepper motor. Same with me on my pos Taurus. Throttle is sticking and they have a recall but aoperently mine doesn't qualify..

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its probably easier to replace the whole instrument cluster because its one big peice ive replaced mine before for a different problem i found a good one at an autoparts recycler for cheap because new guage clusters are like 300

OP
OP
G

guitarzombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll easily be able to replace the stepper. I'm on ebay right now!!!!!

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paid someone 150 to do mine yesterday. He used motors with bigger teeth so they don't strip and put like 30 LEDs in it, also bought a white face so it looks great

OP
OP
G

guitarzombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
follow up question intermittent though?

Today, the speedo is working OK.

I have worked with stepper motors in the past and they are typically not intermittent, however are you folks talking about the gears? I wonder why it would be low MPH one day and perfect the next.

Also could the previous person elaborate a little about the extra lights and white?

thanks

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read it can be intermittent at first

white lights + white cluster...

Attachments

• CAM00108.jpg
    CAM00108.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CAM00109.jpg
    CAM00109.jpg