Engine running cool (185*)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaMaDuDe87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine has been running dor an hour , fan ans fan clutch are off. Stock thermostat from dealership, new rad, new water pump. Rad is hot to the touch and literally every coolant hose in engine bay is hot to the touch, except the lower rad hose.......how is this Tahoe not warming up close to the 210 mark or overheating?

Sooooo frustrated

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your temp sensor is probably starting to fail. Go buy an infrared sensor at HDepot for $30 and shoot around the hoses, pump, radiator hose connection. You may be surprised. If a new sensor doesn't fix the incorrect gauge, there are multiple companies that will repair your gauge module at a reasonable cost.

OP
OP
BaMaDuDe87

BaMaDuDe87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the temp sensor or bad gauge.

Lower rad hose is still cold = thermostat not opening. Not bad thermostat because the coolant isn't getting hot enough to open it.

Not sure what is going on. Will attempt to purge rad/hoses again tomorrow for about the 15th time.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the temp sensor or bad gauge.

Lower rad hose is still cold = thermostat not opening. Not bad thermostat because the coolant isn't getting hot enough to open it.

Not sure what is going on. Will attempt to purge rad/hoses again tomorrow for about the 15th time.

If you are just letting it idle it's going to take a while for the engine to heat up. Someone else just posted about a similar issue, but like yours I think it's normal...especially during the winter. If you drive it hard it will heat up you may see the Temps drop quickly because of the big radiator and the thermostat opening letting coolant flow thru.

My electric fans rarely come on during the winter. My heater works so I know the pump is sending coolant thru the heater core. It was 19 degrees here last night and my truck got up to temp pretty quick but I literally watched the temp gauge drop as the thermostat opened while driving. Fans may have come on for a short burst and turned back off. I'm also running dexcool which seems to carry heat better..

Also u have a surge tank which should take care of any air in the system..it's not an overflow tank so if you coolant level is normal there shouldn't be any air in the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160