Effin' noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I got my '04 Tahoe last year, it's had a knock and rattle coming from the steering wheel seemed like. I read up on it as much as possible, so I changed my lower column bearing and went to change my ISS shaft today to find that it already had the Dorman replacement shaft in place. So, know I'm lost. I tried getting a closer feel to where the noise is actually coming from and it feels like the brake pedal is the culprit. Am I losing my mind? Has anybody else ran into this? How can I get rid of the clunk?

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and try out my new ISS shaft even though I'll be swapping out a Dormant replacement part already? I've also read that the idler arm and assembly have been replaced to stop the excessive wheel play and clunk. Should I look into that?

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try a new ISS. When I was doing research to replace mine I read of some people having the new ISS fail on them rather quickly. It's fairly inexpensive so I would give it a shot.

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I figured it couldn't hurt. I already got it anyway, I'll try it.

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put it on, and I don't notice a change. Still got a clunk coming from somewhere, steering wheel play, and a loose feeling on the steering wheel. Anything else I can try? I'm going to be lifting it this weekend, so I wanted to solve this deal beforehand.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I got my '04 Tahoe last year, it's had a knock and rattle coming from the steering wheel seemed like. I read up on it as much as possible, so I changed my lower column bearing and went to change my ISS shaft today to find that it already had the Dorman replacement shaft in place. So, know I'm lost. I tried getting a closer feel to where the noise is actually coming from and it feels like the brake pedal is the culprit. Am I losing my mind? Has anybody else ran into this? How can I get rid of the clunk?

This is a very hard question to answer. The rattle sound could be a catalytic converter cover to an exhaust hanger to a loose front end part. The best thing is to put it up on list and start banging around with a rubber mallot and of course a good visual inspection.

Just an idea if you are thinking its a brake issue try to hold the pedal lightly where the truck is holding back just enough but still moving and see if you hear the clunk. At least that can give you an idea if its a stuck caliper or loose pad.

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not thinking it's that, really. I think it's the actual brake pedal. I grab a hold of it and shake it and I can hear the noise. It's like it's not as tight as it should be. But like I said, I'm lost:emotions122:

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm making some headway. Took it to get aligned after I lifted it and they told me both my upper A-arms are shot and they need replacing. That explains the wandering around on the road. As for the clunk, I still think it's the brake pedal. But once I get her all straightened out, I'm hoping it'll be easier to narrow down.

Z71Hoelove

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bumping this to see if you figured out the source of the noise. My 05 Tahoe makes a clunking noise but only sometimes when I accelerate or his a small bump. It's annoying I've replaced both pitman arms and it still makes this noise

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm making some headway. Took it to get aligned after I lifted it and they told me both my upper A-arms are shot and they need replacing. That explains the wandering around on the road. As for the clunk, I still think it's the brake pedal. But once I get her all straightened out, I'm hoping it'll be easier to narrow down.

What exactly do they mean your upper control arms are shot?

This sounds a little shady to me. How many miles on the truck? Is the shop claiming that the bushings are shot, the ball joints?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo