Creaking /Popping Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocketman23

Rocketman23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Do you hear this when going over bumps or potholes? Go ahead and Jack up that side and wiggle left right and up down on the tires and have a look underneath. Try a pry bar to move the steering and suspension parts around. Hopefully it shows itself easily.
No, not really anything while driving, only from a start. Sounds like as the truck's weight transfers, something is creaking under the drivers side dash. I have replaced both the intermediate steering shaft and the plastic bearing for it.

OP
OP
Rocketman23

Rocketman23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know why a brand new intermediate steering shaft and new bearing would be creaking? It is the flexing between the body and frame causing the creaking sound.

mrutah12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good day all,
I have a 2004 Tahoe ls 4wd 5.3
Last night after I finished installing my idler arm assembly. The wife backed out of the driveway, Turned wheels too the left and she started pulling forward and there was a loud pop that sounded like it came out from under the car. It made this popping /girding noise a few more times. Saw it was in Auto 4wd had the wife put in 2wd . Still made the noise.not sure what it is. Ive owned this truck for 3years and never had a problem Until last night. Going to go and check transfer case and both differentials. For any type of slop. Also going to check to see if it is actually coming out of 4wd. Any suggestions or Advice is greatly Appreciated.Sorry i did not proof read my post. The noise was there before I heard it the wife said

Last edited:

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why a brand new intermediate steering shaft and new bearing would be creaking? It is the flexing between the body and frame causing the creaking sound.
What type of creaking? Is it like a door hinge creak (dull creak) or like when plastic rubs (higher pitched)? Not to question your mechanical ability at all, but was the bearing pushed fully into the column? And did you ensure that the steering wheel did not turn during the job?
I just did the steering bearing and steering shaft replacement on my tahoe earlier this month and getting that bearing on wasn't the easiest thing to do so it was just a thought.

Otherwise, check everything else underneath the vehicle including the easily missed / skipped over components: control arm bushings, torsion bar bracket bushings, differential mount bushings, body mounts, etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good day all,
I have a 2004 Tahoe ls 4wd 5.3
Last night after I finished installing my idler arm assembly. The wife backed out of the driveway, Turned wheels too the left and she started pulling forward and there was a loud pop that sounded like it came out from under the car. It made this popping /griding noise a few more times. Saw it was in Auto 4wd had the wife put in 2wd . Still made the noise.not sure what it is. Ive owned this truck for 3years and never had a problem Until last night. Going to go and check transfer case and both differentials. For any type of slop. Also going to check to see if it is actually coming out of 4wd. Any suggestions or Advice is greatly Apperciated.
You said you just installed an idler arm. First "obvious" place to check is the idler arm work you "just" did. You need to make sure all is tight where you retensioned all bolts and nuts. Make sure all is seated correctly. What brand idler arm did you use. Please tell me it was not a Dorman product and that you did not just install the arm instead of the arm and bracket..

mrutah12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You said you just installed an idler arm. First "obvious" place to check is the idler arm work you "just" did. You need to make sure all is tight where you retensioned all bolts and nuts. Make sure all is seated correctly. What brand idler arm did you use. Please tell me it was not a Dorman product and that you did not just install the arm instead of the arm and bracket..
Nope moog arm and bracket and all torqued to specs

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nope moog arm and bracket and all torqued to specs
Ok, but address the point I was making. Not just tightened correctly and torqued correctly, the pop was not there till you did the work, right? That is what you alluded to in your problem description. Did you lube everything under there, not just the new part and in fact, did you lube the new part?

mrutah12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, but address the point I was making. Not just tightened correctly and torqued correctly, the pop was not there till you did the work, right? That is what you alluded to in your problem description. Did you lube everything under there, not just the new part and in fact, did you lube the new part?
okay so I found my noise I pulled the rear diff cover and my spider gears were shot they had teeth missing and I thank you for your help much appreciated. know to find out what diff it has its a 10 bolt . posi with 3.73 if i read the rpo code right. i believe it said GT4 and next to that says g65 hope i did it right

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You must have had that noise before the idler arm replacement, to find what you described. the GT4 is the RPO code for the 3.73 gear but G80 would be the limited slip diff. The G65 is not one I am familiar. The G66 and G67 have to do with auto and manual leveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts