DRL's always on or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ERS2015

Reaction score
Well as a follow up...I I stalled the Gen5DIY harness yesterday and it DOES NOT work if you have an aftermarket HID kit installed. I got it to work wiring everything back to stick lighting but w my HID kit and the harness the low beam lights never turned on...not even at night....not sure if the issue but def did not work for me...

Well that sucks! I was planning to install the harness and HID's in the near future. Any idea or thought or what the issue could be?

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be due to the way they configured the harness and the fact that it plugs in line before the headlight assy - since the HID kit uses the power/plug from one low beam bulb to trigger the relay (to turn the low beams on) they must have altered how the low beams are powered/activated in their harness which in turn doesn't send the signal to the relay/HID kit to turn the bulbs on..

Take the HID kit out of the equation and it works perfect!! But with the amount of night driving I do the HIDs are a much higher priority than looking like a LTZ...

Bamnkam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have oem headlights. Ordered the harness from gen5diy today, hoping it works right.

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as a follow up...I I stalled the Gen5DIY harness yesterday and it DOES NOT work if you have an aftermarket HID kit installed. I got it to work wiring everything back to stick lighting but w my HID kit and the harness the low beam lights never turned on...not even at night....not sure if the issue but def did not work for me...

Do you mean even if you turn the headlight knob to the on position, your aftermarket HID low beams won't come on? Or do you mean the HID kit won't come on when the knob is in the auto position?

bourgeois

Reaction score
I spoke to GEN5DIY yesterday and supposedly the harness will work with an aftermarket HID kit. He said you have to use their harness instead of the HID kit harness. NOt sure if this will work still

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'd be nice if they would post a wiring diagram for those of us that have aftermarket HID kits so we can see how it all gets wired up. I'm going to hold off on ordering their harness until I'm 100% sure it'll work with my HID kit.

bourgeois

Reaction score
Can someone that has the harness installed send a picture? Jarod said the LED strip will only be on low power. He said it is not a program problem, but the LT and LTZ headlights are different. The LT can not have the LED strip bright like the LTZ.

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Who is Jarod? The whole purpose of the gen5diy harness is to activate the LED strips in the LT's at fulll power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645