Drivetrain service @ dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mp619

Reaction score
Hello All,
I called the local (Northern VA) GMC dealership to ask for prices on the transmission service and fron&rear differential service/flush. The service rep asked about changing out the fluid in the torque converter. I told him i didn’t even think about it. Pretty much the total would come out to $745. Does this sound like a fair price? I dropped in to get opinions from the experts and im sitting at 80,000 miles and plan on getting this done in a week when i drive back from NYC. I drive a 13 Yukon SLT.

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a reputable transmission shop will probably do it all for $500 or slightly less, I had all mine done plus the install of a deeper transmission pan for about $565.00, the pan was a bit of extra work so....if your just doing service it should be less than mine was, Stealer is usually more.

OP
OP
Mp619

Mp619

Reaction score
a reputable transmission shop will probably do it all for $500 or slightly less, I had all mine done plus the install of a deeper transmission pan for about $565.00, the pan was a bit of extra work so....if your just doing service it should be less than mine was, Stealer is usually more.

Thanks, i’ll keep looking around for better prices

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wherever you go, insist on AC Delco or GM or Amsoil fluids of the correct kind. The front and rear differential fluids are different. Most dealerships use a fluid exchange and flush and do not change the filter anymore. Don't forget your transfer case either!

Front Differential = 1.51 Quarts of 89021671 - .6 Hours Labor
Transmission = 12.4 Quarts of Dexron VI - .75 Hours Labor (Transflow Flush and Exchange) (My dealer charged me $159.95 to perform the service)
Transfer Case = 1.6 Quarts of Dexron VI - .5 Hours Labor
Rear Differential = 2.15 Quarts of 89021677 - .6 Hours Labor (Drop the Spare!)

Transmission Pan Drop and Filter Change = 6 Quarts of Dexron VI - 2.0 Hours Labor

OP
OP
Mp619

Mp619

Reaction score
Wherever you go, insist on AC Delco or GM or Amsoil fluids of the correct kind. The front and rear differential fluids are different. Most dealerships use a fluid exchange and flush and do not change the filter anymore. Don't forget your transfer case either!

Transmission = 12.4 Quarts of Dexron VI - .75 Hours Labor (Transflow Flush and Exchange) (My dealer charged me $159.95 to perform the service)

Transmission Pan Drop and Filter Change = 6 Quarts of Dexron VI - 2.0 Hours Labor

Sir this is why i love this forum! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mp619

Mp619

Reaction score
To edit the first post, it was the transfer case and not the torque converter that the rep mentioned to me.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. My children and I did everything but the transmission. If they'll do it for free, ask the dealer to reset the internal transmission oil life monitor via the Tech2.

OP
OP
Mp619

Mp619

Reaction score

Would valvoline or napa brand be okay for the trans and differential fluids? Napa also offers synthetic for the differential fluid

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe Mike. The GM/AC Delco fluid for the rear differential includes the additive for the limited slip function. If those fluids meet the same specifications and certifications then you can be certain they'd be fine to use. I've stuck with Dexron VI since 2006 and have always (30+ years) used GM/AC Delco differential fluids, just my preference.

OP
OP
Mp619

Mp619

Reaction score
Maybe Mike. The GM/AC Delco fluid for the rear differential includes the additive for the limited slip function. If those fluids meet the same specifications and certifications then you can be certain they'd be fine to use. I've stuck with Dexron VI since 2006 and have always (30+ years) used GM/AC Delco differential fluids, just my preference.
Do you recommend where i could get the fluids from for good prices?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645