21 Yukon XL Rear Drivetrain Ping from P<>R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamlegion

Reaction score
2021 Yukon XL Denali…

Took the family on spring break and after unloading and going to park the truck I noticed a metallic ping sound manifested itself that I’ve never heard before. It makes the sound in the video when going from P to R and vice versa, don’t really hear or feel it any other time. It sounds like it’s coming from where the drive shaft goes into the rear differential. I can’t see anything obviously wrong like play in the U joints, leaks from the diff etc.

I checked and it’s not subject to any known bulletins. I have an appt at a local dealer in a few days but we’re on spring break 1,000 miles from home. All I really care about is if it’ll get us home safe without a catastrophic failure. Any guesses? Something in the diff is my thought and since it seems to drive fine I think it’ll be good to get us home then really dig in under warranty.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually this indicates a u-joint is beginning to fail. I would drive it a distance and then feel each bearing cap and see if one is hotter than the rest.

OP
OP
iamlegion

iamlegion

Reaction score
Usually this indicates a u-joint is beginning to fail. I would drive it a distance and then feel each bearing cap and see if one is hotter than the rest.
I can do that, thank you for the suggestion. I grabbed the drive shaft and tried to move it in any direction but I'm not sure unless one is really blown out that trying to move it would result in anything.

I wonder if building on your idea I could get some of that brake caliper pain that changes color and mark each bearing cap. I'll take it for a spin and when I get back see if any are scorching.

OP
OP
iamlegion

iamlegion

Reaction score
FWIW dealer where I am said it’s “normal driveline clunk”

im not really thrilled with that answer but if it’s not broke and not sounding like imminent failure I’ll comserve my attention for if or when it becomes a problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21