Does this generation NOT have a fuel filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2007 5.3 Tahoe , based in the UK (so not much local knowledge, the workshops here know about Jaguars and Range Rovers.......) , I am told also the filter is in the pump. I have 150K miles on it and wanted to have the filter changed.
would you say this configuration does not need filter changes, or is the complete pump replaced ? or can you just replace the "cardboard" part as you do with the air filters ?

thanks for any help

No replacement is necessary unless you have so much crap in your petrol that the filter is clogged.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, when I recently went to look up my fuel filter for my 2005 Tahoe I found there was none but was at the fuel pump. If you want to replace, need to do fuel pump. I very much doubt the design includes cardboard.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2007 5.3 Tahoe , based in the UK (so not much local knowledge, the workshops here know about Jaguars and Range Rovers.......) , I am told also the filter is in the pump. I have 150K miles on it and wanted to have the filter changed.
would you say this configuration does not need filter changes, or is the complete pump replaced ? or can you just replace the "cardboard" part as you do with the air filters ?

thanks for any help
There is no actual filter, it’s called a strainer and it’s part of the fuel pump assembly. It’s a sock consisting of fine plastic mesh that sits in the bottom of the fuel pump bucket. It’s not replaceable except as part of the entire fuel pump assembly.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not exactly replaceable, but there is a actual filter. It's a metal can surrounding the pump.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
The funny thing is, for years there's been this "sock" filter on in tank fuel pumps, but there was also an external filter. My 2001 has an external filter on the drivers side frame rail. Wonder what year they stopped using them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, for years there's been this "sock" filter on in tank fuel pumps, but there was also an external filter. My 2001 has an external filter on the drivers side frame rail. Wonder what year they stopped using them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
My ‘03 also has it, but it’s a flex fuel, and IIRC, the ‘03 that’s non FF does not have this filter. Or it could just be a different filter..

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘03 also has it, but it’s a flex fuel, and IIRC, the ‘03 that’s non FF does not have this filter. Or it could just be a different filter..
For 04, non-flex has a filter as well, but it's different than the flex filter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I looked at RA and looks like 2004 was the last year of the rail mount fuel filter of any kind. My 2005 does show only an external fuel filter for flex fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667