Denali and AWD Traction Control. Seems to work more than I would like to..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my new to me 05' XL Denali, I have noticed that when I go over bumpy roads or intersections, traction control kicks in. It's kind of a drag. Yes I know I can turn it off, but not all that practical. Is that the way they are or is there something I might have to check?

Thanks!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can turn off traction control in your Denali? My 02 is just AWD and there are no controls, but I can't tell there's anything except full traction. I can't feel any "drag" in any situation. It just hooks up no matter how hard I drive it.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think "something is off on yours??" On or 2004 Denali I can pretty much ignore speed bumps at will! A new thing for me as with all my cars I have to crawl sideways over them!

Is the DIC throwing any codes??? And I've not looked but most likely there are sensors and stuff that maybe loose or corroded??

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah on the 2003+ models there is a button to the bottom right of the stereo that allows traction control to be disengaged. I've heard a lot of differing things happening with the traction control system. Mine is always engaged but I don't feel it kick in like what you describe @Searay45db . our roads up here in the mountains are pretty jacked up right now with all the bs construction they are doing. The main boulevard through town is just a messy patch work of uneven pavement where they have torn into it and then patched it back up. Going over the bumps and uneven pavement and such doesn't seem to phase my traction control system. Like @Chip18, Said there could be loose or corroded sensors. Id check into that and also I'd say have a scanner tool plugged in to your diagnostic port to see if your DIC had any past error codes thrown for the traction system that may have been cleared.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah ... I'm new these but if the TC, is kicking in on bumps and stuff?? Something is just not right??

By and large with "TC" if everything is functioning properly ... you should not even know it's there??? On one occasion when making a hard left turn ... I saw the light flash??? But I tend to stay on the throttle, got the front wheels and dropped the hammer! The steering wheel was now pointed straight "apparently the TC said "oh ...never mind" I dropped the hammer and the thing snacked my head back ..."Outstanding !!!"

I finally got to drive it in "Rain" today! I won't mention the "Brown out conditions" as that's area specific. :)

But ... to the point ... on rain slick roads and driving hard ... the "TC" never engaged. If your "TC" is engaging frequently and over bumps ... something is just not right???

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not pulling any codes. Guess I will have to read up on the sensors and where they are...

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, but I did find a service bulleting on this for this year. Not sure if it was done. It's pretty old, so I suspect that the dealer will probably charge me for this....ya gotta love it.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can turn off traction control in your Denali? My 02 is just AWD and there are no controls, but I can't tell there's anything except full traction. I can't feel any "drag" in any situation. It just hooks up no matter how hard I drive it.

That is the best thing about my '02 in questionable weather, can mash the pedal almost 100% of the time and go in a completely straight line (except wet/icy Oregon conditions)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse