Clunking noise after some gravel roads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random intermittent Popping/clunk noise after some gravel roads.

I drive 2014 Tahoe 173k miles and I went shooting outside of town on some gravel roads. There was some loose gravel with some waves I didn’t see and I hit it kinda fast and was flying over them like a dune buggy. Now I’m hearing some popping noise on the left side I think. It is not dependent on anything it seems to just happen when ever. I hopped on both sides and rocked the car and no noise. I looked under the car and it looks fine. No broken pieces. No loose pieces. Anything else I can look at ? It’s really kinda scaring me. Don’t want my wheel to just fall off. It’s happened to me before riding in a friends civic.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Typically the culprits are those sway bar bushings, motor mounts, ball joints and upper / lower control arm bushings (UCA/LCA).

At 173k miles you’re ready for new bushings, about 75k miles ago. It’s least expensive to purchase the new UCA, LCA since they’ll have all the new ball joints and bushings correctly pressed in. Labor to remove & press in new bushes is nuts. Get poly sway bar bushings kit. On the bar, poly is best.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically the culprits are those sway bar bushings, motor mounts, ball joints and upper / lower control arm bushings (UCA/LCA).

At 173k miles you’re ready for new bushings, about 75k miles ago. It’s least expensive to purchase the new UCA, LCA since they’ll have all the new ball joints and bushings correctly pressed in. Labor to remove & press in new bushes is nuts. Get poly sway bar bushings kit. On the bar, poly is best.
So it’s gonna be expensive in other words? Cool.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it’s gonna be expensive in other words? Cool.
Man, get back inside and off the ledge.

You haven’t even looked any these items. These are simply possible things to look at.

Ok and this photo is showing bad ones? Or.

The picture I posted was what they would look like normally. A broken sway bar link will be very obvious. A bad bushing a little less obvious.