Crate motor... worth it? anybody tried it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 07 Yukon Denali @150k and have NO concerns about any of the above mentioned issues with transmission or engine... I looked at a ton of these trucks and some were 4 owner vehicles and looked like they have been through hell. I was patient and waited till I found a ONE owner truck from a guy 1/2 mile from my house for $3k less than all the others. Best of all, this guy was 65+ yrs old and was a retired GM engineer. Took spectacular care of the truck... Obviously with 150k miles on the odometer I had some concerns and immediately threw $800 in motor, suspension and gasket parts including alternator, water pump and some other crap it needed and most it didn't. These trucks are rock solid. I really wouldn't be too worried about the transmissions. Find a truck with good upkeep and service records. Worst case scenario, you pull the transmission and take it to get rebuilt. Mine is gonna cost me $600 or so and it doesn't even need it... The 6L80E is a VERY tough transmission. I'm also adding an LSA blower without touching ANY of the original motor except replacing original alternator and water pump. Don't over think it. These trucks are cheap and parts are EVERYWHERE for CHEAP! You can build yourself a damn nice truck for under $20k and that includes a full Spohn tubular rear suspension, front suspension/lowering kit, brakes, wheels & tires, LSA blower and trans rebuild (I know) lol ;-)

Have fune, buy one... Do it!

Edit: DuraMax sounds freaking awesome... I was gonna build a duramax Humvee before I bought the Denali ;-)

dmhscorpio

Reaction score
I put a GM crate HT383E in my 1999 Tahoe 2 door. Am very happy with the result. The GM warranty is somewhat comforting ....

RDKill321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know when my 5.3 ***** the bed I'm trailering the z71 down to duraburb.

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed, you all don't live in California... In Cali we can only put in a motor that came from the factory in the vehicle. For example, we can put a L92 in no problem but LS3, LS9 or even LSA would be running a risk of getting your car taken.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I put a GM crate HT383E in my 1999 Tahoe 2 door. Am very happy with the result. The GM warranty is somewhat comforting ....
I did the same thing... have about 60k on the new motor.

Seems the Duraburb option is not available for 1500 series trucks, if emissions compliance is needed/wanted.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
ng I've noticed, you all don't live in California... In Cali we can only put in a motor that came from the factory in the vehicle. For example, we can put a L92 in no problem but LS3, LS9 or even LSA would be running a risk of getting your car taken.

Just one more good reason to move out of that communist Hell hole.... lol

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed, you all don't live in California... In Cali we can only put in a motor that came from the factory in the vehicle. For example, we can put a L92 in no problem but LS3, LS9 or even LSA would be running a risk of getting your car taken.

how do they govern this for resto-mods, when they put a new engine in a classic?

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one more good reason to move out of that communist Hell hole.... lol

Ha! I love being able to watch the Sun rise in the morning on the beach and snowboard in the afternoon while taking my medicine at night. I hate not having suppressors, other firearms and not modifying my vehicles how I want.

how do they govern this for resto-mods, when they put a new engine in a classic?

I think classic is the key word. Anything over 20 years don't apply if I'm not mistaken.

kbuskill

Reaction score

I believe it is done by year. Prior to 1966-68 emmisions testing was never done so it shouldn't require any pollution control devices. Basically if your car came with cats or other emmision control devices then they are required to be kept intact. At least that is how it works in most states but who knows about Cali.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ha! I love being able to watch the Sun rise in the morning on the beach and snowboard in the afternoon while taking my medicine at night. I hate not having suppressors, other firearms and not modifying my vehicles how I want.

I think classic is the key word. Anything over 20 years don't apply if I'm not mistaken.

Don't get me wrong.... it'sa beautiful place and the weather is great, I just couldn't live there.... too many stupid rules for me... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE