Crate motor... worth it? anybody tried it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Duraburb conversion would be nice, but, iirc, it was nearly a $30k conversion for them to do it. Also, the last time I looked it was for 2009 or 2010 and older only.

Sourcing your own donor might save you some money.

You are over thinking the mileage thing a bit. Look up some of the articles on odometer tampering. There were a few NBS Tahoe's or suburbans in excess of 400k miles sold as less than 150k miles. A Carfax would have saved several of the people in the articles.

Maintenance records and title history, like Carfax, or you are rolling the dice.

RDKill321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the same thing... have about 60k on the new motor.

Seems the Duraburb option is not available for 1500 series trucks, if emissions compliance is needed/wanted.
It is, it's called the SS conversion.

A Duraburb conversion would be nice, but, iirc, it was nearly a $30k conversion for them to do it. Also, the last time I looked it was for 2009 or 2010 and older only.
It's in the $16k ballpark from what I've read.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in the $16k ballpark from what I've read.

They used to have a website with info, couldn't find it with a quick search. I looked into it early last year, and it was something like the $16k you mentioned for the labor, and the donor truck was extra. For an '09 I think that it was 12k+ for a donor. For current donor prices, just look at insurance auction site sales and add a couple of grand to transport it.

If you think about it from a different angle, you are gutting the interior to change wire harnesses, replacing the fuel tank, replacing the engine, transmission and (if applicable) transfer case, then you are putting everything back together and reprogramming the computers. If axles are to be swapped, add them and the necessary modifications to the list (2500 models are rear leaf spring and 1500 Suburban and Tahoe models are rear coil spring). All of that could easily add up to 160 hours of shop time. Using a common shop rate of about $100 per hour, you are at $16k before you get any parts costs.

Maybe one day I will be able to send them my suburban. Or maybe we will have diesel-electric (or some other fuel-electric) swaps before then. Having max motor torque at any motor speed does sound nice.

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One would ask themselves why?

My wife has asked me this a few times when I go down this whole of what to do...

Personally it would be about towing, I always thought bigger motor could not change the towing rating of a vehicle from what the factory gave it. After reading the duraburb can tow 17k im curious if I got in an accident would insurance cover me...

Crate motor is be about racing it to make back the money I put into it.

6.2 with work and supercharger seems like the best bet imo.

RDKill321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They used to have a website with info, couldn't find it with a quick search. I looked into it early last year, and it was something like the $16k you mentioned for the labor, and the donor truck was extra. For an '09 I think that it was 12k+ for a donor. For current donor prices, just look at insurance auction site sales and add a couple of grand to transport it.
Hmmm, maybe I did forget to add the donor Dmax in that equation. I wish the dude would put a website up again. I was following a thread that he was commenting on about the process, I believe it was gmfullsize. Could be wrong though....again.

OP
OP
Shunto

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of these builds you guys speak of are pretty interesting... Some of my Toyota buddies have done the same thing with a lot of success.. I had an uncle do it it his 69' (i think)305 Chevelle.

I has cousins who live in CA.. The weather is fine. The wimminz? Finer.... it's just a tad too regulated for me.. I mean NY isn't much better.. Lots of Automobile related things to do there.. rally's, customizing places, Meets.. Here in NY we have 3-4 months of "Have fun weather" then it's turn on the heater and close the Garage door( but leave room for ventilation)

Thanks for all of the replies...

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP is complaining about high miles on these trucks, the motors are the last place I'd worry about. Yeah there's the AFM lifters and crap failing, etc. But that's a one-time investment to fix (If you have to at all). Where a used, high mileage truck is really going to get you is where I'm at right now. I'm replacing all kinds of trim, widgets and other pieces that have taken a beating due to age, wear, abuse, and mileage. The motor and trans are rock solid. The rest of the truck is starting to fray at the edges, which is what has me worried.

RDKill321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The OP is complaining about high miles on these trucks, the motors are the last place I'd worry about. Yeah there's the AFM lifters and crap failing, etc. But that's a one-time investment to fix (If you have to at all). Where a used, high mileage truck is really going to get you is where I'm at right now. I'm replacing all kinds of trim, widgets and other pieces that have taken a beating due to age, wear, abuse, and mileage. The motor and trans are rock solid. The rest of the truck is starting to fray at the edges, which is what has me worried.
You ain't kiddin. I just dropped over a grand in Moog front end parts alone, along with Bilstein 5100's. Luckily I can do it all on my own.

Jmccormick

Reaction score
Interesting topic we have here, I literally just executed your idea a couple months ago on a project suburban.

I purchased a 2008 Suburban LTZ from my Uncle's Beer Distribution company. It was a company vehicle purchased new for the CEO back in 08. The truck has the LC9 5.3 and was creeping up into the 260,000 mile range. Started knocking on initial start up and burned a few quarts of oil on the regular. I purchased the truck for a song and dance.

The bones of the truck are spectacular. zero rust, 4 brand new tires a month ago. The interior was spotless and never used. The CEO had no kids and was 65 years old. Literally never used, not exactly sure why he had a suburban to begin with.

The truck also came with an 8 page excel spread sheet detailing the maintenance since day one down to each fuel fill up with cost analysis lol.

The transmission, front and rear diffs and transfer case have all been rebuilt or gone through via the chevrolet dealership.

I purchased a brand new reman 0 mile LC9 5.3 locally with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Also did the valve cover TSB update.

New starter, and radiator

I also rebuilt the entire front suspension just for good measure. It didn't need it but I had so little into the truck i felt it was a good idea to know it was all fresh.

The truck also had stone chips all over from the highway use. The cover was cracked and the valance was missing. I opted to replace the front body pieces with new GM parts and had a friend at the local body shop respray the front clip.

Now I have a nearly new Suburban with low mileage drivetrain and a rust free body with a MINT interior. I have very little money into the truck considering how much they go for with even 150k on them. I feel I have a better truck than a 150k truck to begin with.

My opinion, your idea is a good one if you can find something like this, with documented maintenance from the original owner since day 1.

Here are a few pics!

How I bought it,

37BC88E8-B506-4A2E-812D-9B61E4CB947C_zpsaw6znj3z.jpg

old engine out

F15AFF1C-7754-4420-95F6-8AEE7593D197_zpsubkapmh2.jpg

New crate engine

ECB53210-1A7E-4C35-81EE-78047C079517_zpsyglze4z8.jpg

New engine installed

1CD6985B-DA38-41FD-8176-5FF79F798103_zpsflv01esv.jpg

New front end painted.

B4F9B668-2086-4FBC-8418-087708B9517E_zps68tkloho.jpg

Ridiculously clean interior.

1D86DACF-EE00-495D-91A5-F786A5981F11_zpszvvtbikj.jpg

54B7CFBF-68F9-43BD-A70C-4198B446C178_zpsrvd3a9wy.jpg

E7A570C0-1ED2-4BF6-9EB0-B7E9C9DA4360_zps5mytcb77.jpg

Here's the truck.

The old guy swapped the original 20" LTZ wheels for the base wheel's and tires. Thinks it rode better lol. Oh well.

21C7BBCC-15B3-47DF-B4B8-A5E47BCA5127_zpsefedpwkt.jpg

52CF6AE7-6264-4EBC-BAE0-C282758A47D4_zpsybohzjc6.jpg

29D783C7-CDEF-4AAE-9E77-0E09BBDF05F9_zpslnrd4ka5.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics, sorry for the lengthy response!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues