Crate motor... worth it? anybody tried it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,
Buddy and me were throwing this back and fourth today at lunch... We were both whining to each other about all the fine specimen of 13' Tahoe's that are out there.. with higher than we prefer mileage-we both like this style.

We came up with all kinds of typical solutions- buy newer- keep looking... blah blah..
Then we came up with the Crate motor solution.. while expensive... you get exactly what you want.

You get a fresh looking truck with a shiny new motor and all the trimmings.

Throwing it out there is all..

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,
Buddy and me were throwing this back and fourth today at lunch... We were both whining to each other about all the fine specimen of 13' Tahoe's that are out there.. with higher than we prefer mileage-we both like this style.

We came up with all kinds of typical solutions- buy newer- keep looking... blah blah..
Then we came up with the Crate motor solution.. while expensive... you get exactly what you want.

IDK but mileage would scare me much having put as many miles on these tahoes as I have.....I would be more concerned about how/who put the miles on...if records are avail, etc.. I think I'd just buy what you like and drive the wheels off it....and then go get a nice crate LS motor and throw a supercharger on it and have fun (after all were just talking here, right:)

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crate motor is fine, but if you put one of them in front of a high mileage transmission that hasn't been rebuilt, you will likely have problems......
Don't forget the higher mileage rear differential and if 4wd front diff and transfer case.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
All,

I wanna put one of these under mine when she gives out. I really like the look of the NBS and NNBS better

OP
OP
Shunto

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crate motor is fine, but if you put one of them in front of a high mileage transmission that hasn't been rebuilt, you will likely have problems......
To tell you all the truth.... We never thought of that and naturally since there are all of those "worked" motors out there... it would kill the stock transmission

Some good crate motor places out there too.. with all kinds of cool stuff

Last edited:

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy contact Chip Foose and put your hoe on Overhaulin. They will put you a crate everything in, and you get some cool custom wheels too. :headbang:

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
I would rather pay a local builder to do the work. That way if anything ever happened with the engine you would have him there to troubleshoot or replace easier than trying to get all the logistics of shipping for the engine. Or even just build your self, save you thousands.

OP
OP
Shunto

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess Logistically it would make sense to have the work done locally... if there are any issues i dont have to ship the motor anywhere... something else I didn't think of.
Thanks .

DStarr02

Reaction score
There's a company in Florida called Duraburb that drops is a duaramax diesel engine, Allison Trans and will put in the 11 1/2" rear keeping all the modules talking, can get you more horsepower, torque, towing capacity, and best of all, 25+ mpg. Told wife once mine kicks it mechanically, that's my plan. At 197,000 now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick